Bookends for iPad

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ArchaeoThor

Re: Bookends for iPad

Post by ArchaeoThor »

Jon wrote:It will work on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (not sure yet of the minimum iOS version). Of course it's nicest on the iPad. I'll be posting a request for more beta testers soon.

Jon
Sonny Software
..if you take volunteers..
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi, please write to me off-forum (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software
kcwookie

Post by kcwookie »

Any updates for those of us who aren't involved in Beta Testing? Since it's release, the iPad has exceeded everyone's expectations, I know it's exceeded mine. I'm changing my work flow and I need tools that work with my Macs and iOS devices (iPad and hopefully soon, iPhone).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends On Tap coming along very well, with only a few features left to be implemented -- most of the hard work is done.

Jon
Sonny Software
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

That's good news; like others here, I eagerly await the coming of the BOT!

Can you let us in on some details, as how the sync features will work, i.e. via wifi, hardwiring only, etc.?

Thanks! :)

Best,
Dan
M.Sc., Ph.D. student, neurobiology
Aarhus University
Denmark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It is wireless, the iOS device just needs to be on the same wireless network as your Mac, and is bi-directional (references you have imported in BOT will be sent to Bookends, and vice versa).

Jon
Sonny Software
diderot

Post by diderot »

Any news yet regarding a release date and pricing strategy? I am really looking forward to an ipad version of Bookends!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's coming along very well, but no release date yet. We still are tweaking the feature set and, of course, fixing bugs. Pricing may change, so don't hold me to this, but right now we're thinking of $9.99.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ron Baslaw

Post by Ron Baslaw »

Hello Jon,

When Bookends is available for the IPAD2 will I be able to enter the references on the IPAD2 ?
I started using Bookends back in the days of the Apple II plus.

Ron Baslaw
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Nice to hear from a long time user (or listener, as they would say on a radio call in show). Bookends has come a long way since then.

Yes, you'll be able to manually enter references on the iPad (or perhaps more usefully, import them from PubMed or Google Scholar), and then sync them back to Bookends on your Mac.

Jon
Sonny Software
talazem

Post by talazem »

Hi Jon,

Regarding the syncing between Bookends on the Mac and on the iPad, I have a question about attachments. I assume that if a PDF is attached directly to the bibliographic entry, it will get synced. However, if one has multiple PDFs attached, or (more importantly for me) a folder contained multiple PDFs attached, will these both get synced to the iPad, such that the files are viewable? Many thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Good question.Multiple attachments will be synced. As for the second case, when a folder containing attachments is attached, we haven't gotten to that case yet. But I'll make a note of it.

Jon
Sonny Software
elizabethvc

Post by elizabethvc »

Any news on this? Writing this from my iPad and it sure would be nice to be able to see Bookends here too.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Timely question -- we'll be submitting it to Apple for review any day now (today, actually, if all goes well). I'll post some more about this soon.

Jon
Sonny Software
elizabethvc

Post by elizabethvc »

How exciting! Can't wait to hear!