Trial and Error

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
the DZA

Trial and Error

Post by the DZA »

Hello,

I have scanned through some previous posts and can't work out if this has been addressed elsewhere, or if this is the best forum for such a question. Nevertheless I hope someone can help.

I have just downloaded the trial version of Bookends and am using it as my first ever piece of bibliographics software. Before I sign up (I am a poor Master's student about to embark on my dissertation and then a PhD in the autumn) I want to make sure I can use this programme for what I think it is supposed to do (as well as save me time).

The searching of library catalogues is fantastic, and works very well (although I notice the lack of a filter for the Wellcome Institute: one of the world's greatest libraries.... http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/)

However, I am currently unable to import any references from saved files. When I download a list of books, say, from the British Library catalogue, I do so as MARC records, which creates a TXT file. I attempt to import these using Import References, with MARC enabled in the British Library filter. However, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Equally when I download references from other catalogues as 'Endnote' or 'ProCite', what method should I use to get these into Bookends? I have tried all the options, and searched the User Guide to no avail. Can someone help guide me? All comments gratefully received.

Many Thanks,

DZA :roll:
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Trial and Error

Post by Jon »

the DZA wrote:(although I notice the lack of a filter for the Wellcome Institute: one of the world's greatest libraries.... http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/)
Hi DZA,

The link gives a 404 error. In any case, if you know the contact info (server address, port, etc.) you can easily make one yourself. Or send that info to me and I'll make one for you (and add it to the distribution).

However, I am currently unable to import any references from saved files. When I download a list of books, say, from the British Library catalogue, I do so as MARC records, which creates a TXT file. I attempt to import these using Import References, with MARC enabled in the British Library filter. However, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Equally when I download references from other catalogues as 'Endnote' or 'ProCite', what method should I use to get these into Bookends? I have tried all the options, and searched the User Guide to no avail. Can someone help guide me? All comments gratefully received.
I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing happens". They are grayed out in the open file dialog? They are selected by you get "0 references imported"? Exactly what are you doing here? (BTW, to import with Internet Search you don't download files at all -- you import directly by drag and drop or with the Copy To popup).

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Re: Trial and Error

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:
the DZA wrote:(although I notice the lack of a filter for the Wellcome Institute: one of the world's greatest libraries.... http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/)
Hi DZA,

The link gives a 404 error. In any case, if you know the contact info (server address, port, etc.) you can easily make one yourself. Or send that info to me and I'll make one for you (and add it to the distribution).
Hi together,
The link gives an errror because of the ")" at the end:

IP address: 81.144.245.7
Port no: 210
Database name = INNOPAC

see
http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/node58.html#P6_588
for more details
tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the info, tom.

You can make a filter for this Wellcome Library by selecting Drexel U (in the Import Filters window), clicking the New button, and filling out this info in the Internet tab.

I've already done this, and if anyone wants it they can do it themselves or write to me directly for a copy (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software