Suggestion for BibTeX Bibliography Generation for LaTeX

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mtauton

Suggestion for BibTeX Bibliography Generation for LaTeX

Post by mtauton »

Jon,

I have decided to dump MS Word 2004 and migrate to LaTeX using TeXShop. I have become quite good at using LaTeX for my scientific manuscripts and many of the journals (eg. American Chemical Society, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) are accepting LaTeX formatted manuscripts for publication.

I really like your integration between Bookends and LaTeX using the BibTeX Keys for citation, (eg. \cite{}) and the document scanning for TeX is seamless and much faster than MS Word.

One suggestion that I have is that the bibliography generated after scanning a .tex file include at the beginning of the reference the \bibitem{Key}.

Currently, for example, it will copy to the clipboard

2. Xie, G, and SN Timasheff. "The thermodynamic mechanism of protein stabilization by trehalose." \emph{Biophys Chem}. 64 (1997): 25--43.
3. Ben-Naim, A. "Chapter 6: Theory of Solutions." \emph{Statistical Thermodynamics for Chemists and Biochemists.} New York and London: Plenum Press, 1992. 359--457.

Would it not be just easy to copy the following to the clipboard instead?

\bibitem{Xie1997} Xie, G, and SN Timasheff. "The thermodynamic mechanism of protein stabilization by trehalose." \emph{Biophys Chem}. 64 (1997): 25--43.

\bibitem{Ben-Naim1992} Ben-Naim, A. "Chapter 6: Theory of Solutions." \emph{Statistical Thermodynamics for Chemists and Biochemists.} New York and London: Plenum Press, 1992. 359--457.

This would eliminate the additional work of putting in the \bibitem{} commands later after pasting the bibliography.

If this functionality already exists, then I have not been able to locate how to do it and excuse me.

Thanks,
Matt
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for BibTeX Bibliography Generation for LaTeX

Post by Jon »

mtauton wrote:One suggestion that I have is that the bibliography generated after scanning a .tex file include at the beginning of the reference the \bibitem{Key}.

Would it not be just easy to copy the following to the clipboard instead?

\bibitem{Xie1997} Xie, G, and SN Timasheff. "The thermodynamic mechanism of protein stabilization by trehalose." \emph{Biophys Chem}. 64 (1997): 25--43.

\bibitem{Ben-Naim1992} Ben-Naim, A. "Chapter 6: Theory of Solutions." \emph{Statistical Thermodynamics for Chemists and Biochemists.} New York and London: Plenum Press, 1992. 359--457.

This would eliminate the additional work of putting in the \bibitem{} commands later after pasting the bibliography.

If this functionality already exists, then I have not been able to locate how to do it and excuse me.
I think this would be easy to do simply be editing the format, no?

Put

`bibitem`{w}

at the beginning and it will output what you want before each reference in the bibliography.

Jon
Sonny Software
mtauton

Post by mtauton »

I think this would be easy to do simply be editing the format, no?

Put

`bibitem`{w}

at the beginning and it will output what you want before each reference in the bibliography.
This will work fine for now, but I have to create a new format for each journal I submit to with the edit above.

In the Bibliography Formatter:
I thought that outputing the selected references in the format {selection} as {BibTeX} would be able to accomplish the same thing without having to modify or create new formats.

Anyway, consider placing \bibitem{w} before references in BibTeX format as a customizable option in either the preferences or the bibliography formatter in the next version.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What should it look like if the bibliography is numbered?

\bibitem{Xie1997}2. Xie, G, and SN Timasheff. "The thermodynamic mechanism of protein stabilization by trehalose." \emph{Biophys Chem}. 64 (1997): 25--43.
\bibitem{Xie1997}3. Ben-Naim, A. "Chapter 6: Theory of Solutions." \emph{Statistical Thermodynamics for Chemists and Biochemists.} New York and London: Plenum Press, 1992. 359--457.

Jon
Sonny Software
mtauton

I turned numbering off.

Post by mtauton »

Jon,

What I did was create a new format called "MLA \bibitem{}" based on the original MLA. I made the edit you suggested to me and I turned off the numbering. So I get :

If numbering is left on one gets :

1. \bibitem{Ben-Naim1992} Ben-Naim, A. "Chapter 6: Theory of Solutions." \emph{Statistical Thermodynamics for Chemists and Biochemists.} New York and London: Plenum Press, 1992. 359--457.

etc.

The reason I turned off numbering is because LaTeX will number references for you when you typeset the document. Bookends provides the scanning feature to get references from your library and puts them into TeX format so that one can paste into the LaTeX document. The ordering of the references by Bookends in the Bibliography is not really needed in this situation.

Cheers,
Matt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks Matt, I got it.

But I just wanted to know *if* someone left number on in Bookends, the \bibitem would precede it, right? It would have to go somewhere...

Jon
Sonny Software