Secondary reference order

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
joshturse

Secondary reference order

Post by joshturse »

I hit a snag today with formatting references - secondary sort order.

I am a graduate student in a bacteriology lab, and have to submit a thesis. I met with our thesis clerk today, who pointed out to me that different citations from the same "senior" author have to have a sort order, either chronological, reverse chronological or by the second author's last name. Is there a way to do this? I hate to say it, but Endnote has a preference for setting this order…and Endnote is evil :twisted:

Jon's reply (from the original post)
You mean sort by senior (AKA last) author? Really? I've never heard of this (and don't see it as an option in EN, but maybe I'm just missing it).

Bookends will sort by authors (all) and then date. So the second author's last name *will* be used in the sort. Can you give me an example of the sort you want? (BTW, this should be moved to the Bookends forum. I don't think I can do that, but you can start a new thread there...)

Jon
Sonny Software
Last edited by joshturse on Thu May 19, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshturse

Post by joshturse »

From the journals I use regularly, I'd be hard-pressed to give an example, but from the thesis clerk…

Here's an example of three papers from the same "senior" author (they mean first author):
Cloeckaert, A., Verger, J.M., Grayon, M., Paquet, J.Y., Garin-Bastuji, B., Foster, G., and Godfroid, J. (2001) Classification of Brucella spp. isolated from marine mammals by DNA polymorphism at the omp2 locus. Microbes Infect 3: 729-738.

Cloeckaert, A., Zygmunt, M.S., and Guilloteau, L.A. (2002) Brucella abortus vaccine strain RB51 produces low levels of M-like O-antigen. Vaccine 20: 1820-1822.

Cloeckaert, A., Weynants, V., Godfroid, J., Verger, J.M., Grayon, M., and Zygmunt, M.S. (1998) O-Polysaccharide epitopic heterogeneity at the surface of Brucella spp. studied by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and flow cytometry. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5: 862-870.
Right now, Bookends is sorting them as:
26. Cloeckaert, A., M. S. Zygmunt, and L. A. Guilloteau. 2002. Brucella abortus vaccine strain RB51 produces low levels of M-like O-antigen. Vaccine 20:1820-1822.

27. Cloeckaert, A., M. Grayon, J. M. Verger, J. J. Letesson, and F. Godfroid. 2000. Conservation of seven genes involved in the biosynthesis of the lipopolysaccharide O-side chain in Brucella spp. Res Microbiol 151:209-216.

28. Cloeckaert, A., J. M. Verger, M. Grayon, J. Y. Paquet, B. Garin-Bastuji, G. Foster, and J. Godfroid. 2001. Classification of Brucella spp. isolated from marine mammals by DNA polymorphism at the omp2 locus. Microbes Infect 3:729-738.
To make the clerk happy, they should appear either in chronological order 1998, 2000, 2001 or reverse or in order of the second author's last name - Godfroid, Weyants, Zygmunt....

In Endnote, there's a "Bibliography Sort Order" that's part of their equivalent of Bookends' "Format Manager"

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

joshturse wrote:To make the clerk happy, they should appear either in chronological order 1998, 2000, 2001 or reverse or in order of the second author's last name - Godfroid, Weyants, Zygmunt....
Odd, that's how Bookends should sort them (by second, then third, and so on, author). Note that Bookends sorts the names as entered in the database, not as output in the bibliography. Double-check the name entries and make sure they are equivalent (meaning one doesn't have periods after initials and another doesn't).

If that's not the problem, please contact me directly and send the (stuffed) database and I'll take a look.

Jon
Sonny Software
joshturse

Post by joshturse »

That worked. I searched the whole database in the author field for "." and replaced them with nothing.
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:
joshturse wrote:To make the clerk happy, they should appear either in chronological order 1998, 2000, 2001 or reverse or in order of the second author's last name - Godfroid, Weyants, Zygmunt....
Odd, that's how Bookends should sort them (by second, then third, and so on, author).
...for some journals/books I need an other ordering. Here what Springer requires:

If there are several works by the same author, the following order
should be used:
− First, all works by the author alone, ordered chronologically by year of
publication
− Next, all works by the author with a coauthor, ordered alphabetically by
coauthor
− Finally, all works by the author with several coauthors, ordered
chronologically by year of publication

...tom
joshturse

Post by joshturse »

that was one of the options given to me by the thesis clerk.

it seems like one way to make sure the chronological thing works would be for Bookends to strip out punctuation when it downloads a reference...

no help on your order (sorry)....