cite reference format possible?

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
sdepold

cite reference format possible?

Post by sdepold »

Hi there,

I'm looking for a special cite reference format for many years now and want to know if such is possible with bookends:
text text text text [Doe03, p.4] text text
for book of john doe released in 2003.

furthermore it has to be
text [Doe03a, p.4] text [Doe03b, p.5] text
for multiple releases in the same year of the same author.

and finally it should be
text [DM03, p.5] text
for a book released in 03, written by Doe and Mustermann.

is that possible/available?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: cite reference format possible?

Post by Jon »

It is straightforward to create a format for this (I'm assuming that the text Doe03 is actually in the reference, say in field user 1). If so, you'd create a custom citation format with the instructions

u1

In the main format (the one that calls on the custom citation format to create the citations) you'd tell Bookends to enclose citations with square brackets, and for Cited Pages you'd enter ", p." (without the quotes) in the Before field.

Here's how you'd have Bookends generate the second example (text means characters you've typed in the body of the document)

text {Doe, 2009, #234234@4} text {Doe, 2009, #4542@5} text

Jon
Sonny Software
sdepold

Post by sdepold »

ah nice. ok this is what i did:

I copied the din 1505 style and named it "1505-2 refstyle". in that style i changed the output for journal, book and website to "u1d" and checked the "year only for date" box. afterwards i copied din 1505 and named it "1505-2 kurzschreibweise" and choosed the "1505-2 refstyle" as custom citation format. when I add a new cite i fill the u1 field with the custom identifier. So "Thomas Demming, 2003, bla.." will become "Dem2003". is there any way to get just the last 2 digits of the year?
If not... I can live with that. But I need that specific identifier in the table of literature. As first try I just added "u1d" in front of the citation format of the "1505-2 kurzschreibweise" format and realized, that it will gimme the complete date due to the unchecked "year only for date" in that format. Is there a way to get the cite reference value? Or can I somehow tell the formatter to only use the year (or better its last 2 digits) ? All in all its getting better and better :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

sdepold wrote: I copied the din 1505 style and named it "1505-2 refstyle". in that style i changed the output for journal, book and website to "u1d" and checked the "year only for date" box. afterwards i copied din 1505 and named it "1505-2 kurzschreibweise" and choosed the "1505-2 refstyle" as custom citation format. when I add a new cite i fill the u1 field with the custom identifier. So "Thomas Demming, 2003, bla.." will become "Dem2003". is there any way to get just the last 2 digits of the year?
How are you adding that to u1? If it's via BibTeX "Generate BibTeX key" then the answer is no. Bookends won't truncate the year (but I'm surprised a journal would ask for that, because you couldn't tell 1910 from 2010). In any case, Bookends won't do that.
If not... I can live with that. But I need that specific identifier in the table of literature. As first try I just added "u1d" in front of the citation format of the "1505-2 kurzschreibweise" format and realized, that it will gimme the complete date due to the unchecked "year only for date" in that format. Is there a way to get the cite reference value? Or can I somehow tell the formatter to only use the year (or better its last 2 digits) ? All in all its getting better and better :)
What do you mean by the cite reference value? If you mean the number of the reference in Bookends, then yes (%), or the unique id, then yes (@). Check out the "Special Characters" popup menu in the format's first tab for a list of these metacharacters.

Jon
Sonny Software
sdepold

Post by sdepold »

ah it might be the unique id :) will give it a try.

i mean the reference in the text
sdepold

Post by sdepold »

Hmm OK it's not. I need this:

text text [Dem2003a] text text

-->

Dem2003a DEMMING, THOMAS: MySQL lernen. Anfangen, anwenden, verstehen. München : Addison-Wesley, 2003

Any idea how to get that?

PS: I already have the cite reference format ([Dim2003a]) working, but can't get the exactly same value in the citation format of the table of literature.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I assume you are referring to what we call the bibliography, right? If so, the main format takes care of this (the custom citation format takes care of the citations). See APA 5th for an example. Also, please see the tutorial pdf (Help menu) and of course the User Guide for examples of creating a format. Basically, you'd want an output something like this:

u1 a: t : u, d

And set the name punctuation case, etc. with the corresponding controls.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon wrote:How are you adding that to u1? If it's via BibTeX "Generate BibTeX key" then the answer is no. Bookends won't truncate the year (but I'm surprised a journal would ask for that, because you couldn't tell 1910 from 2010). In any case, Bookends won't do that.
You can of course do this:

1. copy your date field contents to another (unused) field
2. use a find & replace operation to cut the 19 and 20 etc. from your date fields
3. use this field for your bibliography