Bookends and "MacTel"

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Tacitus

Bookends and "MacTel"

Post by Tacitus »

Given that BE is a carbon app, how easy will it be to make it run natively on the new Macs with Intel inside? :-)

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is it will be relatively easy by the time it is needed (a year from now).

Jon
Sonny Software
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jon wrote:Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is it will be relatively easy by the time it is needed (a year from now).
I wonder, and the issue isn't just that Bookends is a Carbon app, but also that it is a product of the RealBasic development environmment. Here is what Jobs said:

"The future of Mac OS X development is moving to Xcode, said Jobs. Of Apple’s top 100 developers, more than half — 56 percent — are already using Xcode, and 25 percent are in the process of switching to Xcode. “Less than 20 percent are not on board yet. Now is a good time to get on board,â€
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No one has announced anything -- they haven't even swept the floors in the audutorium where the announcement was made yet.

RB already compiles for x86, so I don't see this as a big deal.

Jon
Sonny Software
jem

Post by jem »

odysseus wrote:
Jon wrote:Jobs didn't mention RealBasic, and has RealBasic announced that it will support Intel hardware on the Mac? :(
I think you'll see that REALbasic will support Mac Intel machines, why? They can already compile to Intel hardware, and their framework already runs on Intel hardware so they have the knowledge of Intel machines and they know how to move their framework to different OS/hardware configurations.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Wouldn't it be great if you would use Apples switch to Intel CPUs as occasion to migrate Bookends from Carbon to Cocoa? This would be a lot of work I think, but then Bookends would be a more Mac OS X-like application and it would be easy to make localizations which would make Bookends more attractive than its competitors.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Real announced the day after the keynote that RealBasic would be available for Intel Macs. http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/07 ... lsrc=mwrss

As for Carbon versus Cocoa, let's not make Jon's life harder than it needs to be! I'll be very happy if Bookends is swiftly available for Intel Macs and is maintained for PowerPC Macs, regardless of whether it's Carbon or Cocoa. That already sounds like a lot of work for Jon.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

From my point of view, I do not care if Bookend is Cocoa or Carbon, as long as it's working as it's supposed to be working.

As the former dictator of China, Deng Xiao Ping, said:
no matter if it's a white cat or a black cat, as long as it can catch a mouse
(Nope, I'm not affiliated with any of the rulers of China. Just liked the allegory of the cat and the mouse)
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I don't understand very much of coding, but doesn't the move to an Universal Binary automatically mean that the application than is a Cocoa Application?

Indeed it is not interesting for me if an application is Cocoa or Carbon, but concerning Bookends it's very much interesting for me if there will ever be a German localization. And I thought Cocoa applications are relatively easy to localize. But maybe I'm wrong with that. In the past Jon made it clear that there will be no German localization but I'm wondering if there changed something with the need to move to universal binary?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi reiner,

I can't say when the move to a universal binary will be complete. But sorry, there are no plans to localize Bookends. Note that you do have some freedom in this regard yourself, since a number of things can be reconfigured in any language you like (e.g. field names, format output, lists of words to ignore in capitalization and sorting, etc.).

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

That's sad. But I will live with that.

Yes, I know, there are some things that can be user defined, without that Bookends would be unusable for me. Wouldn't it be a good thing to add some localized files of these settings?

I don't need it anymore, because I made the translations I need. But maybe it would be an improvement for other users?