searching Scholar Google not working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
janopus

searching Scholar Google not working

Post by janopus »

bookends 11.7.2

I am not able to download references from Scholar Google; PubMed works fine.

New problem; I am not aware that I have changed anything. Operation was fine a few days ago.

Previously this problem occurred when Google changed some database formatting (whatever), but I am not seeing anyone else reporting the problem.

The search apparently occurs (the message says 'done'), but no references are download.

Is this a global or local problem?

-jan
Jon
Site Admin

Re: searching Scholar Google not working

Post by Jon »

Google changed the Google Scholar output yesterday, which broke the Bookends parser. We'll be releasing Bookends 11.2.8 shortly, which will restore Google Scholar searching.

Jon
Sonny Software
mestrius

Post by mestrius »

Thank you. But with 11.2.8, I am noticing a different bug. I'm not able to attach files to references any more. EDITED: I tried something else. Please disregard. The file was corrupt. BE is working wonderfully again!
dmohalloran

Post by dmohalloran »

Hi,

Until recently I was using the previous version of Bookends (Version 10). As soon as Google Scholar searching broke, I upgraded to 11.2.8. And as the above post suggests the search function returned. However, yesterday, I tried searching and again google scholar search is broken. Has this happened to other people?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yup, the good folks at Google changed the output again. I'm working on it now. GS search will be restored in the next Bookends update.

Jon
Sonny Software
dmohalloran

Post by dmohalloran »

Hi

Thanks for the prompt response and also a wonderful piece of software. I look forward to the GS return.

D
janopus

Post by janopus »

Why is Google doing this? Highly annoying. -jw
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's not on purpose. There is no formal access to GS, so we have to scrape the HTML results returned by a regular search. If they change the HTML, it can confuse the parser. If they offered an API (like PubMed) this would never happen.

But the good news is that I think I've worked around the problems now, and will try to upload an update tonight if I don't run into other problems.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends 11.2.9, which restores Google Scholar searches, is now available from our Downloads page.

Jon
Sonny Software
KristaHarp

Post by KristaHarp »

Today I tried to use Online Search to upload articles from Google Scholar into my BE database, but every time I typed in an author name, journal name, etc. and clicked Search, nothing comes up, and I had to fill in the form manually. What could be going on? I just downloaded the newest version of Bookends today.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sounds like you have more than one copy of Bookends on your HD and are launching the old one. Please check in About Bookends and make sure you are using 11.2.9.

Jon
Sonny Software
mcowden

Post by mcowden »

I'm having difficulties with the autocomplete search after I drag a pdf file into Bookends. Neither Google Scholar nor JSTOR will return any search results. I'm using 11.2.9 (and have double checked this); I replaced the old version with the new when I installed the update. Anyone else experiencing this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I just checked both and they work for me. Triple check that you're using 11.2.9 (see the About Bookends dialog). If you are, make sure the problem isn't a firewall or incorrect proxy server setting that's causing the problem.

Jon
Sonny Software