BOOKENDS BLEW UP

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
spr

BOOKENDS BLEW UP

Post by spr »

Using Bookends a week or so.

Have a database of 10,022 books. Adding 12 more. Transferred 6 and froze. Time after time after time.

Now just shuts down upon opening.

Now what?

Copied database to Desktop; hope I saved it!
Not going to be a happy camper if I didn't.

spr
spr

Post by spr »

Repaired permissions twice ('til clear.)

Tried to rebuild database...
just shuts down.

Too corrupted?

Not a good thing.

spr
ozean

Post by ozean »

I would recommend sending your database and a description of what happened to sonnysoftware. I would be pretty sure that Jon will take a look at it and fix it if at all possible.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That is right -- you should contact tech support.

Two general comments:

1. With a db that large, you must increase internal database cache for decent performance and stability. For 10,000 refs I'd go to 15-20 MB.

2. Backups are essential for any valuable file, database or not.

Jon
Sonny Software
spr

Post by spr »

Hi folks--

Upped cache to 100M (why skimp?)

Still no go.

Contacted Tech Support, so we'll see. I sure would love to save it.

RE backup--
I could show you the 15 or so emails I've sent out in the past two weeks
about precisely that. I've been trying to make an image of the entire HD, but have found it hard going trying to get instructions on doing exactly what I had in mind. As a matter of fact, before this happened I already had plans to go to Apple today. (CCC doesn't support Tiger.)

Best intentions aren't worth much, are they?

Anyway, THANK YOU for your help, Jon. I know you guys will do everything possible to try to salvage this 'monster.'

Blessings,
Steve
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For those of you following at home, we were able to recover all of the references in spr's database.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adelheid

Post by Adelheid »

spr wrote:RE backup--
I've been trying to make an image of the entire HD, but have found it hard going trying to get instructions on doing exactly what I had in mind
I have been able to make bootable backups (clones) of an iBook with Tiger installed, using Mimmac. Worked like a charm. If you need more info, let me know.

Regards,
Adelheid
matthias

Post by matthias »

Adelheid wrote:
spr wrote:RE backup--
I've been trying to make an image of the entire HD, but have found it hard going trying to get instructions on doing exactly what I had in mind
I have been able to make bootable backups (clones) of an iBook with Tiger installed, using Mimmac. Worked like a charm. If you need more info, let me know.

Regards,
Adelheid
Hi Adelheid,

I would be very interested how you managed to do this. I was always under the impression that only ccc can do that, but that ccc is not yet working with tiger. Actually this is one of the main reasons why I have not yet switched to Tiger.

Matthias
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jon wrote:For those of you following at home, we were able to recover all of the references in spr's database.
Care to share what went wrong with the database?
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

matthias wrote:I was always under the impression that only ccc can do that, but that ccc is not yet working with tiger. Actually this is one of the main reasons why I have not yet switched to Tiger.
Matthias, you're silly -- or just cheap. SuperDuper! is more flexible than CCC, and works perfectly under Tiger!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

[quote="odysseus"Care to share what went wrong with the database?[/quote]

I'm not sure I remember exactly now. I think I used a larger (15 MB or so) cache, and was able to open the database by setting Reference View as the default in Preferences. Then I selected All references (made them hits), exported to a Bookends file, and then imported that file to a fresh database. All recovered.

Jon
Sonny Software
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jon wrote:
I'm not sure I remember exactly now. I think I used a larger (15 MB or so) cache, and was able to open the database by setting Reference View as the default in Preferences. Then I selected All references (made them hits), exported to a Bookends file, and then imported that file to a fresh database. All recovered.[/quote]

Does this kind of thing (i.e. database corruption) occur from time to time?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It can. It's getting to be less and less of any issue as the database engine is undergoing constant improvement, but yes it can (even a Word document can become corrupted). That's why I repeat, keep good backups (for any valuable file, including databases).

Jon
Sonny Software
matthias

Post by matthias »

odysseus wrote: Matthias, you're silly -- or just cheap. SuperDuper! is more flexible than CCC, and works perfectly under Tiger!
Erratic Wanderer of the seas: Silly or cheap?! Well, neither nor, I guess. Rather, still in the clutches Calypso...you've just shown me the way back home to Ithaca...
Adelheid

Post by Adelheid »

matthias wrote:
odysseus wrote: Matthias, you're silly -- or just cheap. SuperDuper! is more flexible than CCC, and works perfectly under Tiger!
Erratic Wanderer of the seas: Silly or cheap?! Well, neither nor, I guess. Rather, still in the clutches Calypso...you've just shown me the way back home to Ithaca...
Hi Matthias,

I take it that you managed to make that bootable backup with SuperDuper? I have been without laptop for a while, hence the late reply. Just restored my ibook with Mimmac from an external harddisk, so I can vouch for the functionality of that program :D.

Regards,
Adelheid