Getting ellipses in Google Scholar

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Ivan

Getting ellipses in Google Scholar

Post by Ivan »

I am in a field that PubMed doesn't cover well, so Google Scholar is usually best for finding papers. Sometimes when I do a search through Bookends, the paper is found fine, but the author list and journal title get truncated by ellipses.

For example searching with "Estimation of plant water concentration by the reflectance water index WI (R900/R970)" in order to find this paper: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 1697217396

finds the paper as the first hit on GS, but what gets imported into the library is:
Authors: Penuelas, J
Pinol, J
Ogaya…, R

and Journal: International Journal of …

Is there a setting or trick I can use to get it to download the full citation?

thanks

Ivan
Ivan

Re: Getting ellipses in Google Scholar

Post by Ivan »

Oooops- missed the line in the manual about this. If you right click and import the reference (instead of drag and drop), BE will try to get the full data for you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's correct. Import rather than drag and drop for Google Scholar.

Jon
Sonny Software
stereotactic

Post by stereotactic »

I am opening up this long lost thread. I am facing the same issue by getting ellipses. After searching, I imported it using the import button on the bottom of the Bookends Browser in to Hits List and then adding it to the group that I have created. However it doesn't play well in the scanning for bibliography generation.

I don't have any idea how to fix the imported references.

Help please!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Google Scholar uses ellipses in their HTML output. Bookends tries to get better metadata from GS and often succeeds, but when it can't, it scrapes the HTML to get what it can, hence the ellipses. I could strip them out, but then you might think the metadata are complete, when they're not. So they're left in, and this serves and important purpose. If you don't want them, you can do a Global Change -> FInd/Replace and get rid of them.

Jon
Sonny Software