Exporting from GoPubMed for BE import

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JadBee

Exporting from GoPubMed for BE import

Post by JadBee »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've looked and can't find anything!

I import many refs to BE straight from the online search. However, sometimes, for complex searches, I use GoPubMed to take advantage of their MeSH-sorted results, which is very helpful.
I usually export my results from GoPubMed as txt files, so I can read the abstracts etc., and also as BibTex files for importing into BE. However, sometimes the titles of the papers don't come through when I do this.

My question is: is there a better way to do this? Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Exporting from GoPubMed for BE import

Post by Jon »

I don't know if you'll like this better, but you could do this:

1. Search GoPubMed in Bookends Browser.
2. Click on the PMID of a reference you want.
3. That reference on PubMed will come up, and you can click the green button to import it (and pdf, if it can be found).

Jon
Sonny Software
JadBee

Post by JadBee »

Thanks Jon! It's not ideal, as I'd like to be able to get all the references in in one go, but it's not a bad compromise. I can simply drag the PMIDs one-by-one from my 'clipboard view' of selected references in GoPubMed into the BE library window.

I appreciate your quick response :)

By the way, is this just a quirk of some reference formats in BibTex? I'd estimate about 30% of imported references don't have the title.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Open the BibTeX file in TextEdit and take a look. If the title is missing you should contact GoPubMed and ask why? If the title is there but not being imported it means you have to tweak the BibTeX filter to accommodate whatever they are doing.

Jon
Sonny Software