Bookends Suggestions:

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

Bookends Suggestions:

Post by Guest »

Love Bookends, but hope for a few changes. These are things I would like to see incorporated into Bookends.

1) quick key to open linked files
I transferred my endonote 8 library to Bookends and for the URL I have entered file://localhost/path_to_PDF. A quick key to open the file without having to open the database entry and clicking the @ button would be helpful.

2) bigger navigation button or slider in article view
I find the up/down buttons difficult. They are too small. Instead, I suggest right/left buttons that are much larger. I think this would be more consistant with the slid bar navigation.

3) choice to sequentially order Unique ID following their addition to the library
I sequentially order the record numbers (partially an endnote carryover) and number reprints to match. This helps me rapidly dig out papers I want to read.

4) option to see all imported data from pubmed download (reivew option) or a last import list, like that of the hits
5) maintain search word accross group switch so one can change groups and not have to retype the search phrase
Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends Suggestions:

Post by Jon »

Anonymous wrote:1) quick key to open linked files
I transferred my endonote 8 library to Bookends and for the URL I have entered file://localhost/path_to_PDF. A quick key to open the file without having to open the database entry and clicking the @ button would be helpful.
You mean in the List View? What do you suggest?

BTW, I would suggest adopting the Bookends approach to attachment linking now that you're in Bookends. It is *much* more flexible. And in the List View, if "indicate attachments" is enabled in Preferences, right-clicking lets you open the attachment directly.
2) bigger navigation button or slider in article view
I find the up/down buttons difficult. They are too small. Instead, I suggest right/left buttons that are much larger. I think this would be more consistant with the slid bar navigation.
This is a standard Mac OS X control (stepper). You can use the arrow keys if you prefer.
3) choice to sequentially order Unique ID following their addition to the library
I sequentially order the record numbers (partially an endnote carryover) and number reprints to match. This helps me rapidly dig out papers I want to read.
No, sorry, that's a bad idea from EndNote we aren't going to copy. This precludes, among other things, merging of databases, without destroying the id's of the added references (because of id clashes).

If you want to use sequential numbers, use the reference number (that has problems too, but...) or add your own number in a user-defined field, or Keywords, or Notes, or whatever.

Or simply file using the unique ID that Bookends provides...
4) option to see all imported data from pubmed download (reivew option) or a last import list, like that of the hits
If you import to the Hits List from PubMed, you can review them simply by clicking on the Hits group.
5) maintain search word accross group switch so one can change groups and not have to retype the search phrase
I think that's likely to cause more problems (confusion) than it solves, I'm afraid.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I think that's likely to cause more problems (confusion) than it solves, I'm afraid.
I don't think it's confusing. It happens often to me that I search a ref and do not find it - because it was limited to the group where I was; I have to chose then 'all' and retype my search...

tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It could easily be confusing, I think. Search for 'test' in All. Then you forget about it. Click on a smart group and nothing shows up...why not? Oh, because you forgot to delete the word 'test' in the List Search box, and none of the refs in that group have this word in them.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, BTW. I'm just saying that a feature some might find useful would cause problems for others.

I just checked iTunes -- it also clears the Search field when you change groups (e.g. from Recently Played to My Top Rated, etc.).

Jon
Sonny Software
san

Post by san »

Jon
Sonny Software[/quote]

I agree this would be really helpful. It takes just one click to clear the search field (if you don't want it in the next group) but lots of typing (and remembering what you just typed) to duplicate the search in a new group.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, how about this...

If you change groups with the Option key held down, any text in the Live Search box will be preserved, and will be applied to the newly selected group.

Jon
Sonny Software
san

Post by san »

I think the option option would be a great solution. :)

Another option would be to emulate the Google search window in Safari, which saves a list of recent searches in a pull down menu. Then if you switch to a new group, the recently entered search is quickly available.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

san wrote:I think the option option would be a great solution. :)
It's done (in 8.0.5).
Another option would be to emulate the Google search window in Safari, which saves a list of recent searches in a pull down menu. Then if you switch to a new group, the recently entered search is quickly available.
I considered that as well (a combobox). But as you'll see when 8.0.5 is out, that wouldn't go well with the new look.

Jon
Sonny Software
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jon wrote:I considered that as well (a combobox). But as you'll see when 8.0.5 is out, that wouldn't go well with the new look.
8.0.5 will have a new look?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

odysseus wrote: 8.0.5 will have a new look?
The List View, yes. Actually, today we decided that there was enough new things (features, interface, database engine, and bug fixes) that we're going to call it 8.1.

We plan on doing a *short* public beta when we think it's stable enough, which shouldn't be too long. For intrepid users only. There will be announcement on this forum.

Jon
Sonny Software
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jon wrote:The List View, yes. Actually, today we decided that there was enough new things (features, interface, database engine, and bug fixes) that we're going to call it 8.1.

We plan on doing a *short* public beta when we think it's stable enough, which shouldn't be too long. For intrepid users only. There will be announcement on this forum.
Who is "we," Jon? :D

Yet another change in the database engine?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

odysseus wrote:
Who is "we," Jon? :D

Yet another change in the database engine?
"We" is Sonny Software. We have used the same database engine (Valentina) since Bookends 7.0. It underwent a major overhaul (to version 2.0) in Bookends 8, but it is the same.

Jon
Sonny Software