Zotero sync with Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
stereotactic

Zotero sync with Bookends

Post by stereotactic »

Hi! Its a newbie question. Is there any way to sync Zotero with Bookends?

Zotero rests in the browser and indeed a very powerful index. However, like anything else, it has it's limitations. I am checking out Mellel (been using Scrivener all this while) but the Live Bibliography with Mellel, I think, is a killer feature and is worth paying the money for.

I would like to find out if there is any way to sync these two reference managers together. Zotero gets all the references online+ pdf atachments which are automatically piped in to Bookends; I fire up Scrivener to compose my drafts, export to Mellel for the live updating. I think it is the perfect workflow. (I have seen other academicians do the same thing). Please let me if this holy grail is feasible.

Looking forward for your reply in anticipation.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Zotero sync with Bookends

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't sync directly with Zotero. However, you can export from Zotero and import the result into Bookends (with links to pdf attachments).

BTW, note that Live Bibliography with Mellel is broken in Bookends 12.0.6. We're working on a solution.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Bookends has powerful Internet search and retrieval functions of its own.
stereotactic

Post by stereotactic »

I will not deny it that Bookends has it's own advantages and this is precisely the reason (live updating of Bibliography) that I have been attracted to.

I am also aware of Zotero Export and then re-import of the same. Having said that, I have a lot of optimization done in Firefox (with addons and the likes) which make it imperative for me to use Zotero.

If by any means, Bookends could plug in to a specified "watch folder"- that of the Zotero in the Firefox Profile directory, for example, it would be awesome. For example, the DOI updates and the other methods to connect to different universities is unparalleled. It's just that I'd be getting the best of both the worlds. I have a 30 day grace period for Mellel and hence, I'd be waiting for the fix.

Let us know if this is feasible! If not, what could be the issue?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can watch any folder for a downloaded pdf, like Zotero (see the File menu, and refer to the user guide for more info). I don't know about Zotero, but Bookends would then move the pdf to the Bookends default attachment folder (if it's folder Zotero is watching, too, and moved it first, Bookends wouldn't find it -- and of course Zotero wouldn't find it if Bookends moved it). But if this is something of interest to you, you could experiment.

For a more robust live link between Zotero and Bookends there would probably need to be cooperation between them and us. I suspect they wouldn't be interested, but you could write to them and ask.

Jon
Sonny Software