tildas and "Don't change case"

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
talazem

tildas and "Don't change case"

Post by talazem »

Is there any way to get an a with a tilda (à) to not be capitalised? I have added it to the "Don't change case" list in the preferences, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. (I have automatic capitalisation selected in the Formats Manager.)

Incidentally, I'm also getting what is, to me, some other unexpected behavior with capitalisation. French words with the definite and an apostrophe (l') also are capitalising, unless I add the entire unit (e.g. l'État) to the list, which is a bit difficult to keep track of always. Also, in Arabic words that begin with al- (e.g. al-Bayt), the 'a' is being capitalised, while the 'B' following the hyphen is not. My understanding from the manual as that, so long as I have these in the exception list (where I have l' and al- listed), they should not be capitalised, while what follows them is.
Last edited by talazem on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: tildas and "Don't change case"

Post by Jon »

I'll look into it.

Jon
Sonny Software
talazem

Post by talazem »

Thanks Jon. Please see my additional second paragraph above, which I seem to have edited in after you'd replied to my first paragraph. Many thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Turns out this is a bug in the open source RegEx APIs that Bookends uses. I've come up with a workaround in the next update that fixes it (and works with al-Bayt, too). The issue with l'État and it's ilk is intrinsic to the way that the exclusion algorithm works.

Jon
Sonny Software
talazem

Post by talazem »

Great to hear for the first set of issues. As for l' and company, do you meant that there is no solution to that problem?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends excludes words, and the word is l'État, not État (and Bookends will leave the former alone if you enter it in the exclusion list). Don't forget, you can also have Bookends leave capitalization of any given title alone by ending it with a comma ("l'État, c'est moi,")

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm going to revisit the issue with words like "l'état" with regard to punctuation. Bookends 12 formatting code was totally rewritten from scratch, and the occasional function works a bit differently now. I'll see what can be done.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think I've finished restoring the old capitalization behavior for the next update. If you add "l" to the list of words to leave alone. when doing Title Case, "l'état" will become "l'État". The same with words beginning with "al-" (if you enter "al" in the word list).

Jon
Sonny Software