Navigating notes

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
martinjp

Navigating notes

Post by martinjp »

I've been exploring new possibilities for my workflow, making notes in Bookends before composing in Scrivener. I find myself now looking for an easy way to navigate from one note to the next. In the summary view, the text of a long note is truncated. To view that text, I need to double click on the note. Fair enough. But to move to the next note I need to click close, then down-arrow or select the next note, then double click again. Might a shortcut like crtl-right arrow enable the user to jump directly to the next note?

Also, when I create a notecard from a selection with a page number, Bookends adds the number of the physical page in the pdf, rather than the page of the article, even when it has access to this data because the start page has been entered in the reference data. Is this normal behavior?

Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Navigating notes

Post by Jon »

Use the Enter key to open, close, open a notecard. So here's your workflow:

Select a notecard -> Enter -> Edit -> Enter -> down arrow -> Enter -> Edit -> Enter -> etc.

As for the page number, that's the value the PDF returns when Bookends asks. So it depends on who made the PDF. Sometimes it's the page number in the journal (what you want) and sometimes it's the page number in the pdf (what you don't want).

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

Jon, on my MacBook Air the return key does not open a note. (Neither does return plus a modifier.) And within a note, the return key adds a carriage return (not surprisingly!)

Might not Bookends calculate the article page number when the page range has been provided?

Martin
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

Aha! I see, it is Function+Return key! :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

martinjp wrote: Might not Bookends calculate the article page number when the page range has been provided?
No, that's far too convoluted and prone to problems. You can edit the page number in the notecard if it's the relative page and not the actual page (it's just text, nothing magical).

If you are dealing with a journal that's not incorporating the actual page number in the pdf you should write to the editors and let them know that this useful information is being left out.

Jon
Sonny Software