updating reference information without recopying citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
stephaniet

updating reference information without recopying citation

Post by stephaniet »

Excuse the neophyte question if it is one...

I'm wondering if it's possible to update information in a reference without having to re-copy the citation into my writing file. My workflow is Scrivener -> Word, so when I copy a citation, it puts the {author,book@9} into my footnotes in Scrivener. When I go to scan my file with the Bookends plug-in in Word, if I have changed anything in the reference (i.e. fixed a spelling mistake, etc.), the citation doesn't get recognized. Am I doing something wrong? I sure hope so!

Thanks for any help.
nicka

Re: updating reference information without recopying citation

Post by nicka »

I think that using a temporary citation format with the Unique ID number in it will fix this problem.

Temporary citations with Unique ID look like this: {Conitz and Haukioja, 2012, #19006}

The number is linked to that reference, so I think Bookends will find the right reference even if I change something in the reference: e.g. correcting the spelling of 'Cohnitz'.

See page 55 of the user guide.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: updating reference information without recopying citation

Post by Jon »

nicka is correct, and I generally recommend citing by "author, date, unique id".

Note that you can do a proofreading scan of the document. This can serve two purposes:

1. It will help you "repair" the temporary citations, or

2. Convert your temporary citations from "by content" to "by author, date, unique id".

Jon
Sonny Software