How to unlink a word processor?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tharpold

How to unlink a word processor?

Post by tharpold »

When I set preferences for Bookends 8.1, I specified "Microsoft Word" as my word processor of choice (well, not really choice, but forced upon me by my editors and collaborators, but that's another story...).

I find now that this creates a nasty side-effect: if I "copy formatted" a reference from the list view, I am automatically switched to Word (if it's open), and the formatted ref is pasted at the insertion point. I understand that this is the expected behavior, but it doesn't work for me for two reasons:

- In a book project, I may keep references in a separate file from the one I am editing at the moment. If I've just referred to a text in "chapter 1", then want to paste in a formatted bibliography ref in "works cited", the auto-pasting behavior places the ref where I was last typing ("chapter 1"), not where I want to (manually) paste it ("works cited").

- It is not uncommon for me to want to place formatted refs in a document in one application (Notebook, Circus Ponies's excellent note-taking software, which I use to build class notes and syllabi), when I just happen to also have a Word document open, perhaps one unrelated to the citation I've copied from Bookends. The auto-paste behavior, again, puts the copies the formatted ref to a place other than where I wanted to manually place it.

For these reasons, I would prefer not to have application linking active at any time when using Bookends. But: I can't find an easy way to turn it off; it seems as though, once a word processor has been specified in the Preferences dialog, I can't unspecify it...?

TH
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to unlink a word processor?

Post by Jon »

tharpold wrote:For these reasons, I would prefer not to have application linking active at any time when using Bookends. But: I can't find an easy way to turn it off; it seems as though, once a word processor has been specified in the Preferences dialog, I can't unspecify it...?
You'll be able to set it to None again in Preferences in 8.1.1.

Also, you can temporarily change (or break) the link at any time in the Reference Window -- the popup menu next to the button showing the linked application lets you do this.

Jon
Sonny Software
tharpold

Re: How to unlink a word processor?

Post by tharpold »

You'll be able to set it to None again in Preferences in 8.1.1.
Thanks -- that should do the trick.

TH