Merging attachments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
midas

Merging attachments

Post by midas »

I have two references (R1 and R2) in my library that are different only in the attachment. PDF1 is attached to R1, and PDF2 to R2. How do I:

* merge the attachments into one of the references? Or...
* transfer PDF2 so that it is attached to R1? If I do this, then I can simply delete R2.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Merging attachments

Post by Jon »

You can select both refs and do a Refs -> Compare References.

Click on the symbol next to the attachment names, then in the lower pane copy/paste the attachments so that you have what you want. Then save. Then you can delete whichever refs you no longer need.

Jon
Sonny Software
midas

Post by midas »

Thanks!

What I missed was the cut-and-paste. I saw the arrows to transfer from left to right (or vice versa), but didn't realize that I could just cut-and-paste the contents. This works!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The arrows let you quickly move from one to the other (the entire content of one replaces the other), which is what you often want. But to merge you need more control, and that's what copy and paste provides. I'm glad it was helpful.

Jon
Sonny Software
midas

Post by midas »

Oddly, I cannot get this to work anymore. I cut-and-paste the name of the file, with or without comma or semicolon as a separator.

Has something changed in 12.8.2?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This capability was removed in 12.8.1. I'll add it back. Each name must be on a separate line.

Jon
Sonny Software
midas

Post by midas »

That would be much appreciated. thanks.

(Separately, I have a related feature request which I will type up and post... after thinking it through a little more)