Three authors in Chicago's 16th edition author date style

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Three authors in Chicago's 16th edition author date style

Post by jzents »

As I read that style from the 16th edition on page 790 – 791 (chapter 15.9) up to three authors are to be listed in an in text citation. Et al does not come into play until you reach four or more authors. However, as I examine the basic author date citation options in the bibliography manager it appears that the unalterable default is to use et al after two or more authors. The only way around that is to go into the custom citation option, which would force one to build the entire author date citation. So please tell me if I am correct in my perceptions. That the only way to use the author date part of the bibliography manager is to accept as de facto that it will use et al after two or more authors. And the only way around that is to generate the whole darn thing in the custom citations area. Thank you for confirming or explaining to me where I'm wrong! Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Three authors in Chicago's 16th edition author date style

Post by Jon »

Um, we provide Chicago 16th...

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

That is the style I am using. I am confused then about the fact that from the screen shot provided, I cannot get the et al to function as I the pages I cited would seem to indicate that it should. I am using Chicago 16B.
Citation Options.tiff
Citation Options.tiff (205.09 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
As I read the page numbers I mentioned in my original post, et al should kick in once one passes three authors. Sorry if I am not getting it. Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's Chicago 16th B, which is standard author-date. You want A.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see that B should indeed use et al. if there are 4 or more authors, so I've modified the format, which I'll include in the next update. If you want the new Chicago 16th B now write to me and I'll send it to you (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software