[Feature request] pdf import - right click on file + doi input

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Reinhard

[Feature request] pdf import - right click on file + doi input

Post by Reinhard »

On average, every 20-30th pdf-file-import results in an orphaned pdf file in the Bookends attachment folder with no reference created. Since this is rather complicated to repair, because you have to compare file by file, I would prefer a half-automated version of the pdf import feature.

A right click on the pdf file opens a menu
Bookends option.png
Bookends option.png (27.46 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
(sorry for the German)

If one clicks on "Bookends import" a window opens with three fields for data input (doi, PMID, ISSN). Once entered, Bookends searches for the data and creates the correct reference plus attaching (and renaming) the pdf file.

This procedure would be more reliable than the current automatic import through the watchfolder.

I would love such a new feature! :D :wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] pdf import - right click on file + doi input

Post by Jon »

You're talking about a right-click on the file in the Finder? Why not use the feature that already exists in Bookends to quickly import reference metadata when you already have an attached PDF -- Refs -> Autocomplete Paper (Shift-Command-C)?

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

If the automatic import worked, but somehow Bookends picked up the wrong doi, autocomplete from internet does not work. If the automatic import resulted in no new reference and just an orphaned pdf in the attachmentfolder, your suggestion does not work either.
Therefore I would love a right-click-on-file-in-finder semi-automated import, where one can input doi or PMID or ISSN.

Would be a great new feature :wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That is incorrect. Autocomplete Paper may fail to find the DOI or pick up the incorrect DOI from a particular PDF (because of the way the DOI is entered, or if the first one Bookends finds is for another paper), but if that's the case you can edit it and enter the correct DOI and then press Search. In essence, this is no different from what you're asking for (except it's more convenient because it's done in Bookends, no need to switch to the Finder to find the PDF) and it exists now.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Well, when Bookends picks up the wrong doi and imports the wrong data into the new reference, it is not sufficient to delete the DOI and do an "autofill from internet".
You have to delete the contents of several fields (doi, PMID, URL, possibly even PMCID and ISSN)...otherwise it will import the wrong data again.
This is really very anoying and I would prefer a semi-automated-right-click-feature, which works.
Not to mention, the orphaned pdfs with no reference...which is another side-effect of the automatic pdf import.
Lets face it, as long as the publishers don't agree on doi formating standards, the automated process will never reliably work. To fix one orphaned pdf (and to find it) takes more time, than to import pdfs one by one...using the right-click feature with the DOI-PMID-ISSN fields I suggested. :wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you replace the wrong DOI with the correct one and Autofill From Internet, the new data will replace the old (if a field was filled out the first time and there is no information in the new reference corresponding to it, it will be left as is, but that's unusual). If there is a PMID or a PMID in the URL then yes, it should be deleted, too (or Bookends may use that information to get the reference).

And please do not confuse the terms. Autocomplete Paper and Autofill From Internet are two completely different functions. Using them interchangeably will only cause confusion. Here you should be using Autocomplete Paper, not Autofill.

If you think Autocomplete isn't working as it should you should contact me directly for tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Ok, this explains it...
Somehow, the option "autocomplete" does not show up, when I right-click on a reference. That's the reason why I always use "autofill", which sometimes does not work and requires to delete several fields.

See attached image
no autocomplete.jpg
no autocomplete.jpg (166.24 KiB) Viewed 6263 times

So..."autocomplete paper" is a very useful feature...and it would be nice if a right-click on a pdf file in the finder would directly open this window in Bookends. This would prevent the problem with orphaned pdfs in the attachment folder during automatic import. :wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You should never have orphaned PDFs moved to the attachment folder (that is, PDFs that were moved but for which there is no corresponding reference). The reference can be empty of metadata, but there must be a reference that has that PDF as an attachment.

If you can reproduce an example of Bookends moving a PDF to the attachments folder without making a new reference (or attaching it to an existing reference of course), then please contact tech support with details of how to reproduce the problem.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I can add Autocomplete Paper as a right-click option.