Online Search - change to library catalogues available as sources?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
joseph_anton

Online Search - change to library catalogues available as sources?

Post by joseph_anton »

After updating to Bookends 12.7.6, I seem to have access to a reduced list of sources in the Online Search area (i.e. Amazon, Google Scholar, Library of Congress, PubMed, Bookends Browser). The extended list of library catalogues, such as Oxford University Library, has vanished!

I know that many of the library catalogues in the old extended list were no longer accessible, but a few of them were very useful. I wonder whether there is any way to restore access to some of these (such as the Oxford catalogue)?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Online Search - change to library catalogues available as sources?

Post by Jon »

Please go to File -> Import Filter Manager (and Biblio -> Formats Manager) and check the filters/formats you want access to.

Jon
Sonny Software
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Fantastic, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Wonderful to see so many new sources added to the line-up.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

It seems that the Oxford import filter does not work at the moment. The filter points to library.ox.ac.uk/ which seems not accessible. I do not know if it is an accidental glitch, or the page is missing.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm on vacation right now and can't take a look. But sources change their server settings from time to time. Search for the current Oxford Z39.50 server settings and update the Internet tab of the import filter accordingly. I'll do this myself when I return.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Oxford filter was updated in the last update or two (I forget which). It works for me. Make sure you're using the factory default from us (and Bookends 12.7.6), not an edited version of the Oxford search.

Jon
Sonny Software
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Dear Jon,
you are right about it. It seems that it is a problem with the proxy service at my university, as it does not let me reach the Oxford University Library. The strange thing is that University of Cambridge works library catalogue instead. The usual case of Oxbridge rivalry.
I will dig deeper into Bookends manual to discover why my university server blocks Oxford.