Molecular Biology and Evolution

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
kscheffler

Molecular Biology and Evolution

Post by kscheffler »

What is it with biological journals that allow latex submissions but don't seem to know what latex actually is (let alone provide files for meeting their formatting requirements)? I'm looking for a bibtex format for MBE; requirements are as below (note the weird format where first author is Surname, Initials while subsequent authors are Initials Surname).

I've downloaded several standard styles, but nothing is close to this. Can anyone help?

Konrad

--------------------

The 'Literature Cited' section must

* be arranged alphabetically by author(s) and then chronologically
* contain only works specifically cited in the text
* refer to manuscripts accepted for publication but which have not yet been published as "in press"
* not include manuscripts that have not formally been accepted for publication
* follow the guidelines for abbreviations of periodicals in The Council of Biology Editors Style Manual (6th ed., 1994)
http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/index.php3
* be formatted as in recent issues of the journal and as follows:

Journal articles:

Pensole, G., C. Gissi, C. Lanave, and C. Saccone. 1995. Glutamine synthetase gene evolution in bacteria. Mol. Biol. Evol.
12:189-197.

(>10 co-authors):

Wilson, R., R. Ainscough, K. Anderson et al. (53 co-authors). 1994. 2.2 Mb of contiguous nucleotide sequence from chromosome
III of C. elegans. Nature 368:32-38.

Books:

Ingram, V. M. 1963. The hemoglobins in genetics and evolution. Columbia University Press, New York.

Book chapters:

Hall, B. G. 1983. Evolution of new metabolic functions in laboratory organisms. Pp. 234-257 in M. Nei and R. K. Koehn, eds.
Evolution of genes and proteins. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass.
nxinxa

Post by nxinxa »

Do you know about makebst?

On my linux system I type

tex makebst.tex

and answer a lot of questions, then a .bst file is created from my answers. Works like a charm.
kscheffler

Post by kscheffler »

Thanks - I've since found a solution for my problem, but this looks useful for future use...
tom

Re: Molecular Biology and Evolution

Post by tom »

kscheffler wrote:...(note the weird format where first author is Surname, Initials while subsequent authors are Initials Surname).
this is not that weird, it's quite common...e.g. all ASM Journals (American Society for Microbiology, http://www.journals.asm.org/) like J Bacteriol use this format...

tom
dlavrov

MBE format

Post by dlavrov »

kscheffler wrote:Thanks - I've since found a solution for my problem, but this looks useful for future use...
So what is the solution? In particular I'm wondering how one puts three authors in a citation (e.g. White, Gray, and Green 2006)?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You'd have to use a custom citation format. You can read up on these in the User Guide (a separate download from our web site).

Jon
Sonny Software