WebDav server for attachments blocking the UI

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cboulanger

WebDav server for attachments blocking the UI

Post by cboulanger »

Hi,

this is a feature request: I use a WebDAV server for attachments which unfortunately is not very fast (or it's the connection). So when loading attachment, or also sometimes during other actions, the UI freezes while Bookends is retrieving the attachment. Would it be possible to make access to to the attachments non-blocking, i.e. it would asynchrously load the documents and display them when they "arrived"? I am coming from the JavaScript world, where this is the default, so I don't know how difficult this would be to be implemented in the case of Bookends.

Thank you
Christian
Jon
Site Admin

Re: WebDav server for attachments blocking the UI

Post by Jon »

It's possible to put any given operation in a thread, but the problem is handling the result when the user does something he's not "supposed to", like switching to another reference, deleting the reference, deleting or detaching the PDF file, etc. It's also something that I'd have a hard time replicating, so it would be difficult for me to test edge cases.

Jon
Sonny Software
cboulanger

Re: WebDav server for attachments blocking the UI

Post by cboulanger »

Ok, thanks for explaining!