Unusual problem with scans

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Sue

Unusual problem with scans

Post by Sue »

My set up is Tiger/10.4; BE + Mellel, also Office Word 2004.

After inserting citations into a document, and then scanning to create references I get an error message: Database Engine Error: Record "UNKNOWN" is locked in table "the references".

This occurs in both Mellel and Word.

It will work fine if the references in BE are all hits; it will also work if the database in BE is closed and then reopened. However, I have to check generate bibliography after scan or it won't do the scan (and then delete the bibliography if not needed).

I have a new Powerbook, no unusual applications, and no hacks.

Jon has been unfailing in his support, but he can't reproduce my problem even with my files which makes it difficult to diagnose.

Does anyone else have any experience of a problem like this?

Thanks
Sue
tweten

Post by tweten »

Sue,
I have been communicatng with Jon on the very same problem. I have a fairly clean dual G5 with the latest Tiger. What I have noticed is that if I insert 2 references together at some point in the Word document it works fine, but if I have only single references throughout the document it does the same thing you observe. When I sent these documents to Jon (who is very responsive) they work fine for him and when I get them back they work fine for me. Since he can't reproduce it it makes it hard to troubleshoot.
Rod
tweten

Post by tweten »

Sue,
I emailed Jon the following, you might see if you can reproduce these conditions to see if the same set of conditions causes the problems on your computer.

Jon
I have done some extensive testing on my desktop system and this is what I get. If I put text in followed by a single ref it throws an error. If I place two or more references together downstream of the single ref then it scans fine. If, on the other hand I put these two references upstream of the single ref it will not scan and i get the typical error message. Now here is the kicker, in the latter case if I delete the single ref from its downstream position of the two references it scans properly.
Sue

Post by Sue »

tweten wrote: I have done some extensive testing on my desktop system and this is what I get. If I put text in followed by a single ref it throws an error. If I place two or more references together downstream of the single ref then it scans fine. If, on the other hand I put these two references upstream of the single ref it will not scan and i get the typical error message. Now here is the kicker, in the latter case if I delete the single ref from its downstream position of the two references it scans properly.
Rod

I can reproduce that in Word too.

In Mellel, it will not scan at all unless it can append a bibliography and it adds one after every scan.

Thanks
Sue