Plain text not working when entering new ref

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
blargent

Plain text not working when entering new ref

Post by blargent »

When pasting text from a browser or PDF into a field in a new reference window, I would like to override the ofttimes annoying formatting of the pasted text, ie. very large bolded text for a title.

When I select the text in after pasting, say, in the "Title" text area, and select "Style -> Plain text (command T)", the text remains the same, still bolded, still annoying.

Help? Perhaps a "Paste as plain text" option in the clipboard?

Thanks!

.: benjamin r. largent :.

blargent

Oops. Size also

Post by blargent »

The above entry should note that perhaps "plain text" could be a default size??? I believe the text in the post above is plain, but the size has not changed. Any way to get a "default plain size" or "default paste size"??

Thanks again!

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It exists:

Edit -> Paste Without Styles

Jon
Sonny Software
blargent

Post by blargent »

Shazam! Superb! I'm ready for the training wheels to come off.

Many thanks,

blargent

another copy / paste oddity

Post by blargent »

The paste without styles does NOT work correctly if styled text has previously been pasted into that field, as below:

Browser: Copy
Bookends: [title field in new ref] Paste (text is styled of course)
Bookends: Cut, or Delete styled text
Bookends: [title field in new ref] Paste (text is STILL styled, even though I selected paste without style)

When pasting normal styled text does that permanently fix the field as styled text? I tried highlighting the styled text and applying Style -> Plain text. Still no luck.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Jon
Site Admin

Re: another copy / paste oddity

Post by Jon »

blargent wrote:The paste without styles does NOT work correctly if styled text has previously been pasted into that field, as below:

Bookends: [title field in new ref] Paste (text is styled of course)
Bookends: Cut, or Delete styled text
Bookends: [title field in new ref] Paste (text is STILL styled, even though I selected paste without style)
It remembers the style, yes.
blargent wrote:I tried highlighting the styled text and applying Style -> Plain text. Still no luck.
That's because text *size* is independent of style (which here is italic, bold, underline). Set the text size to 10 (or 12, or whatever) and it changes.

Jon
Sonny Software
blargent

Post by blargent »

Gotcha. A good way to implement it, glad I understand now. Again, thank you!

tom

Re: another copy / paste oddity

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:Set the text size to 10 (or 12, or whatever) and it changes.
I would rather do a refs/Global change/restore default font style...otherwise the text size is fixed to 10 in the bibliography (where you maybe prefer 8, or whatever)

tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That will work. But actually, if you set the text size to the same as the reference default (set in Preferences), Bookends will use the bibliography default when generating a bib. So either is fine.

Jon
Sonny Software