Editors as commentators

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mekenney

Editors as commentators

Post by mekenney »

Hi folks,

I'm trying to make the switch from NotaBene (a Windows only WP/Biblio database/search database program) to Bookends and Mellel. I have a question about how to handle editions of primary texts that have the same person as editor and commentator. I have in mind something like an Oxford Classical Text or an edition of one of Plato's dialogues in the original Greek. I believe that the editor should be entered in the editor field, but how do I account for his/her simultaneous role as commentator?
mekenney

Post by mekenney »

Some help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Let me restate my question in an attempt to clarify what I am asking. If a text has a single person as editor, commentator, author, or any combination of more than responsibility, how does one enter the bibliographic information into Bookends. If the person's name is entered in both the editor and translator fields, won't his/her name appear twice in a citation or bibliographic entry? How does one set it up so that the person's name appears only once and all of his/her responsibilities are properly attributed to that one instance of the name? This situation is fairly common in classical scholarship.

I apologize if this is answered in the user's manual. I haven't found it. So even a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I didn't answer because I don't use Bookends for this kind of citation...perhaps others who do might chime in.

If the same person has more than one function it would seem reasonable to enter his name in more than one field. If he is the author and the translator, his name will appear twice, once for each time you output that field. If you want to have the name output just once, the only solution I can think of is to create a new Type (Author Is Translator, for example) and edit the format as you want it to appear (i.e. output the name just once).

Jon
Sonny Software
mekenney

Post by mekenney »

Thanks for responding. I thought of creating a new Type, but wasn't sure if I could manipulate output in the way you suggest. Now I'll explore that option. It sounds as if it will resolve the difficulty.