bibtex export problems

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cherylchase

bibtex export problems

Post by cherylchase »

I'm trying to get my bibliography out of bookends via bibtex so that I can process it with refdb, for a docbook project.

I'm trying to process it with bib2ris (a converter that comes with refdb, and converts bibtex to ris, the native import format of refdb).

bib2ris is very unhappy with the bibtex export of Bookends, complaining bitterly about "lexical buffer overflowed".

When I look at the bibtex export from Bookends, I have to sympathise. Here are the first couple dozen lines (of my 200 entry bibliography).

Bookends has apparent neglected to add the ending page number, as well as the closing braces.

What's up?

Cheryl

@Article{Cohen-Bendahan2005,
author = {Cohen-Bendahan, CC and van, de Beek, C and Berenbaum, SA},
title = {Prenatal sex hormone effects on child and adult sex-typed behavior: methods and findings.},
journal = {Neurosci Biobehav Rev},
volume = {29},
number = {2},
pages = {353@Article{Hester2004,
author = {Hester, JD},
title = {Intersex(es) and informed consent: how physicians' rhetoric constrains choice.},
journal = {Theor Med Bioeth},
volume = {25},
number = {1},
pages = {21@Article{Mazur2004,
author = {Mazur, T and Sandberg, DE and Perrin, MA and Gallagher, JA and MacGilliivray, MH},
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I have no idea. This is a tech support issue, not something for this forum. Please stuff and send me small database that has a misbehaving refererence. I'll try to figure out what the problem is.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

BibTeX

Post by rickl »

I'm keenly interested in everything to do with Bookends & BibTeX, but have all too little knowledge of BibTeX and potential problems with it. Once you've resolved the issue, I'd certainly appreciate it if you could share on the forum any aspects of it that aren't specific to this particular case.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The problem was that there were endashes in the Pages field, and Bookends wasn't handling them properly when it output them in BibTeX markup. Replacing the endashes with dashes solved this. I have fixed the issue, though, and it will be available in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

BibTeX

Post by rickl »

Great! Thanks.