Question about highlighting

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
perplexed

Question about highlighting

Post by perplexed » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 am

I've switched to using Bookends for macOS and have recently got an iPad and so am trying out the iOS version too. The support for the Apple Pencil and the ability to highlight text and make notes on the iPad is very useful, especially if synced between devices.

When highlighting, it looks as though I first have to highlight text, then copy it, and then paste the text into a note. Am I doing this correctly or is there a way of automatically noting/saving the highlighted text, reducing the number of steps?

Serge

Re: Question about highlighting

Post by Serge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm

I think these operations are independent as you copy without highlighting, and highlight without copying.

perplexed

Post by perplexed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:34 am

Hello Serge and thanks for getting back to me. It's good to know I'm doing things correctly and not missing anything.

My aim is to find a way to highlight important parts of papers and then make my highlights searchable within Bookends. I could highlight the text, copy it, and paste it to a note. Out of interest, is it likely that searchable highlighting might be a feature in the future, or does PDFKit not work that way?

Thanks again.

perplexed

Post by perplexed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 am

Hello Serge,

After a bit more searching, I found something similar to what I’d like to do. In the macOS version of Bookends, it is possible to highlight text and add it to a “notecard.” The notecards appears to be searchable, so this is exactly what I’d like to do, rather than adding notes (annotations) to a PDF itself.

Is there a way to highlight and add to notecards in the iOS version? I’ve not found a way yet, so the closest thing for me is to highlight, copy, come out of the PDF, paste the text into a note(card), and go back into the PDF. So I’m hoping there is a way I’m just not familiar with yet.

Thanks for your help!

Serge

Post by Serge » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 am

Note stream with pdf annotations is not currently available in Bookends for iOS, but it's planned.

perplexed

Post by perplexed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 am

That's great to hear, Serge, thanks. Sorry about the late reply, things have been busy!

As this feature could completely change how I use Bookends, is there any news on when it is likely to arrive in the iOS version? Thanks.

Serge

Post by Serge » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am

I'm sorry, I can't give you an estimate, but it's planned.