Unchecking "retain hidden citations"/Bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Massachusetts user

Unchecking "retain hidden citations"/Bibliography

Post by Massachusetts user »

When running Bookends from inside Word 2004, I want to create a final document for a publisher who wants a Word file with no extra junk. I have unchecked "Retain hidden citations" and I want the document to have a bibliography.

I can't seem to make this work. I get a document in which the citations are normal text, just as I want, but no bibliography shows up at the end. Am I missing something?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is another checkbox for

Create Bibliograpy After Scan

Is that checked?

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

Yes, it's checked.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I just tried this with both Word X and Word 2004 -- in both cases a bibliography was generated.

You can send me your document (pre-scan, of course), database, and the format you are using (the actual one, whether we provided it or not) and I'll see if I can reproduce it with those.

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

I'll be happy to send you what I have, but I've managed to pinpoint the problem further. Perhaps you can reproduce it with your own files. My pinpointing also gives me a workaround, but I think this is a real bug.

If I take a file in unscanned condition and scan it, checking the create bibliography box but unchecking the retain hidden citations box (as I described), I too get a bibliography at the end. So that's my workaround.

But if I take a file that has been previously scanned and send it to Bookends from Word (I didn't try asking Bookends to process an rtf file), with the same settings, I get a scanned file with plain-text citations (as desired) but no bibliography.

When I first posted, I was using my own custom citation format, a 300K Word File and a 2.5Meg database -- but I have now reproduced it with a one-sentence Word file, a two-entry database, and the MLA format supplied with Bookends. So I think it's not me.

If you can't reproduce this, let me know how to get my materials to you, and I can send you the tiny files for starters.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean you scanned once without saving hidden citations info, then scanned again? You can't do that. That's the whole point about retaining the citation info (hidden)...if you don't do that, you can't rescan (well, you can, but Bookends won't do anything). Is this what you did?

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I saved *with* hidden citations, then tried to rescan the document with "retain hidden citations" unchecked (but "produce bibliography" checked). That's when no bibliography gets produced.

When I scan a document with references in it, but no hidden citations (because it has never been scanned, or has been unscanned), a bibliography is produced, as it should be.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Oh, OK. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, I see it, too. While waiting for the fix, you can still get your paper out by doing this:

1. Scan (no bib generated, but the references that matched are in the hits list).

2. Biblio -> Bibliography Formatter

3. Make Bib (in the format you want), send to Bib Window

4. Copy from Bib Window and paste at the end of your document (or wherever you wanted it).

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

Thanks for your help. I look forward to the fix!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Another (better) workaround that seems to work...

Do an Unscan of your scanned document from within Word. Then do another scan, this time without retaining hidden citations. When I do that, the bibliography is generated correctly.

Please see if this works for you, too.

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

Yes, that's actually what I had already ended up doing. Thanks!