Q: Reference including "Reprinted in ..." informat

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
hartmut

Q: Reference including "Reprinted in ..." informat

Post by hartmut »

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Bookends and would like to know if it can handle reprinting information - and what would be the best way to do this.

My problem is as follows: I have a reference that is a chapter in a book, such as

Code: Select all

Alloway, Lawrence (1966): “Systemic Paintingâ€
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hopefully someone who has run into this and found a good solution will answer.

There is no way that a bibliography entry can combine two references, which is what you want, I think. You can, however, create a new reference type, say "Reprint", and then enter the reprint info as you want it to appear. But you've thought of this, and yes, you'd have to manually change it if you wanted the output to be different for different destinations.

A real kludge would be to cite both together (suppress the second in the text by preceding it with a !, such as {!Battcock, 1995}) and then manually combining them in the generated bibliography. This is ugly, but would probably work.

Jon
Sonny Software
hartmut

Post by hartmut »

Thanks for the quick answer, Jon - perhaps I might ask a follow-up question:
But you've thought of this, and yes, you'd have to manually change it if you wanted the output to be different for different destinations.
If I need to change the information in all chapter entries, is there some way to execute a replace-statement (sql would be fine), so that I could have a "working DB" with, say Battcock1995 in a custom field and a "publishing DB" where I replace that string with the formatted bibliography entry of the Book (in the correct format)?

thx,
hartmut
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can do a Find for references that meet the criteria you want (say, with the Type of Reprint). Then do a Find/Replace that you want on the references in the Hits List (which is composed of the references you found with the preceding Find).

Please try it yourself (on a copy of your database) and see if it works for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
hartmut

Post by hartmut »

Jon wrote:Please try it yourself (on a copy of your database) and see if it works for you.
Worked fine, thanks.

However, and although this would probably be better served in a different forum: I would like to request a cross-reference feature to deal with problems like this. BibTeX does something similar for

@proceedings and @inproceedings
- it should not be too difficult to implements this in Bookends, should it?

hartmut

ps: To strengthen the feature request's validity, I just registered a copy..
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

hartmut wrote:I would like to request a cross-reference feature to deal with problems like this. BibTeX does something similar for

@proceedings and @inproceedings
- it should not be too difficult to implements this in Bookends, should it?
To be clear, what are you requesting exactly? The ability to have a formatted citation contain another citation, formatted differently? That, in fact, would not be a trivial addition.
ps: To strengthen the feature request's validity, I just registered a copy..
Thank you. But we entertain ideas from anyone, whether they own Bookends or not (of course, many of these suggestions don't make it to the to-do list, but again that's independent of ownership).

Jon
Sonny Software
hartmut

Post by hartmut »

Thank you. But we entertain ideas from anyone, whether they own Bookends or not (of course, many of these suggestions don't make it to the to-do list, but again that's independent of ownership).
Well, then just assume I registered Bookend, because I need a good bibliography tool (which is true).
To be clear, what are you requesting exactly? The ability to have a formatted citation contain another citation, formatted differently? That, in fact, would not be a trivial addition.
To answer this, allow me to refer to bibtex tutorial from 1988, pg.2-3:
http://www.uni-kassel.de/hrz/server/Sof ... bibtex.pdf

Two things happen [1. inheritance of missing fields, 2. inclusion of the cross-referenced reference]
...the special crossref field tells BiBTeX that the NOGNATS entry should <b>inherit any fields it's missing</b> from the entry it cross-references...

Perhaps you might be able to implement something similar to what BibTeX does; the format could be specified in one type of reference, the missing fields inherited from an entry specified in a special XREF field (perhaps with a similar syntax used now in the wordprocessing program). As far as I can see, this might mean an additional query per reference insertion...

And, if you could get this to work for conference proceeding, I am sure it would be tweakable (using a USER field) to work for reprints, as well.

I hope this clarified my wish - if not, I can try again.

hartmut
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Interesting idea. I imagine one could have a field (a cross-reference field) that held the unique ID of the intended reference. I don't think it would be useful to have it inherit missing fields from the cross reference (at least, let me say it could be very confusing to our users, who generally do not want to "program" Bookends), but it might be useful for embedding the second reference, formatted, in the first when output to a footnote or bibliography.

Non-trivial to implement, and would require new fields. But worth thinking about...

Thanks.

Jon
Sonny Software