How do I copy a reference from one Bookends DB inot another?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gavagai

How do I copy a reference from one Bookends DB inot another?

Post by gavagai »

I want to exercise with Bookends and my first task was to copy a reference from Bookends Database "MLIT" into a new created Bookends DB "Buch".
1) my first try was simply via File / import References. I selected "file" and failed because the Bookends DB MLIT was not even sensitive.
2) In the Help Guide I read "You can import a reference file exported from any version of Bookends into a Bookends 8 database by dragging and dropping it ..." I haven't tried this way because I think it is very long-winded.
3) Instead I tried this way:
a) I opened "MLIT"
b) I copied the one book I want to transfer (via Edit/Copy)
c) I opened "Buch"
d) via Edit / Show Clipboard I made sure my book was there at the clipboard.
e) now I tried File / Import References
f) But to my astonishment in the little pop-up-menu from "file" was preselected and "clipboard" was not selectable.
g) Of course, I also tried simply to copy it via Edit / Copy or Edit / Paste, but these options weren't even selectable.

I have imported from Literat (my PC software) via EndNote to Bookends 6554 references in 2 databases. My idea was to copy a reference in my third Bookends DB whenever I need it (and proof and correct the fields when necessary). So the copying of a reference from one Bookends DB into another should be very short and convenient.

Am I missing something?
Servus, tschau, bye
Herbert
Mencu

Drag and drop

Post by Mencu »

The shortest way is clicking on the entry you want to export, dragging it to the window of the destination database and dropping it there. The program will tell you that you have added one entry to your data base, if you chose only one. Try choosing more than one, but not all. At least, I had trouble when selecting more than 10.

Second way, and slightly more difficult. Open the entry you want to export in the origin database. Select it with command+shift+C, or chose in the menu Edition the command COPY REFERENCE. Go to the destination database, create a new reference, and then paste the reference data with Command+shift+V, or chose PASTE REFERENCE in the Edition menu.
Again, I have had trouble with that command, quite a few crashes, but it might be my databases are too big.

These are the ways I know. A couple of counsels: DO BACKUP your databases. I do once a day, even twice. It has saved me an awnful amount of time.
Second: INCREASE the Internal Cache in the Preferences entry hanging from Bookends menu. The bigger, the better.

Well, and a third one: Whenever you are in trouble, write in this forum. We have a guardian angel calle Jon who works for Sonnysoftware and who works wonders everynow and then. I have witnessed it several times.
Hope this helps. Cheers
Miguel
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How do I copy a reference from one Bookends DB inot anot

Post by Jon »

gavagai wrote: 1) my first try was simply via File / import References. I selected "file" and failed because the Bookends DB MLIT was not even sensitive.
That's because you forgot the first part -- you must *export* the references you want to import first.

To do this, may them hits (Find them, click the checkbox next to their names in the List View, etc.). Then use File -> Export References (hits) to export them in the "Bookends" format. Import *this* file into the destination database.
2) In the Help Guide I read "You can import a reference file exported from any version of Bookends into a Bookends 8 database by dragging and dropping it ..." I haven't tried this way because I think it is very long-winded.
Funny, to me that's the easiest way (and the one I use). In the Finder, just drag and drop the file you exported onto a Bookends database window and the import is automatic.
3) Instead I tried this way:
a) I opened "MLIT"
b) I copied the one book I want to transfer (via Edit/Copy)
c) I opened "Buch"
d) via Edit / Show Clipboard I made sure my book was there at the clipboard.
e) now I tried File / Import References
You did an Edit -> Copy Reference, right? So to recover that reference, you do an Edit -> Paste Reference.

g) Of course, I also tried simply to copy it via Edit / Copy or Edit / Paste, but these options weren't even selectable.
They are if the reference window is open and in front. Copy/Paste references is intended for one reference at a time (usually for making duplicates you can edit).
I have imported from Literat (my PC software) via EndNote to Bookends 6554 references in 2 databases. My idea was to copy a reference in my third Bookends DB whenever I need it (and proof and correct the fields when necessary). So the copying of a reference from one Bookends DB into another should be very short and convenient.
Drag and drop is pretty short and convenient. A close second is Copy/Paste Reference (second because you'll need to open the reference window).

BTW, with a db of ~6500 references, I'd increase the database cache to 10-12 MB.

Jon
Sonny Software
gavagai

Post by gavagai »

Hi everybody,
I got it with drag and drop and it works very easily and conveniently. Thanks.
And I had increased the internal cache to 10 MB anyhow, but now I even gave him 12 MB.
Is there any way I can stop him to fill in the URL, when I select the data for a new book via amazon (via Utilities and Internet search) ? I always have to erase that. As I have to treat the data from amazon anyway (amazon.de for instance doesn't provide the city of the publisher), I am glad for every field where the input comes in correctly or almost correctly.
Servus, tschau, bye
Herbert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

gavagai wrote:Is there any way I can stop him to fill in the URL, when I select the data for a new book via amazon (via Utilities and Internet search) ? I always have to erase that.
Easily. Just open the Amazon import filter (File -> Import Filter Manager -> Edit button) and remove the tag

URL-

before the URL label.

Jon
Sonny Software
gavagai

Post by gavagai »

Done. Thanks.
Servus, tschau, bye
Herbert