XML conversion error

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Chemist

XML conversion error

Post by Chemist »

Hello-

I am a new user of Bookends. Have many EndNote files that I wish to convert to XML, and thence Bookends. My employer just updated the G4 to OS 10.4 This computer has numberous EndNote 8 files but EndNote 8 won't run on OS 10.4 :roll: . A networked PC does have PC EndNote 8, and so I converted the Mac EndNote 8 files to EndNote XML on the PC. The EndNote file has around 60 entries in it.

However, when I import the XML file, the following message appears:
"Error. DOM exception 16: invalid access" ....and only 18 references are actually imported.

So, my questions should be obvious.

Thanks

Fenton
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Ack...actually the alternate import mechanism that is described in the bookends manual correctly generates a interchange file from EndNote:

In EndNote:
• Examine the File -> Output Styles menu.
• If “Refer Exportâ€
Eingang

Re: XML conversion error

Post by Eingang »

Chemist wrote:Hello-

I am a new user of Bookends. Have many EndNote files that I wish to convert to XML, and thence Bookends. My employer just updated the G4 to OS 10.4 This computer has numberous EndNote 8 files but EndNote 8 won't run on OS 10.4 :roll: . A networked PC does have PC EndNote 8, and so I converted the Mac EndNote 8 files to EndNote XML on the PC. The EndNote file has around 60 entries in it.
Chemist, I'm using EndNote V7 which works fine under Mac OS 10.4.2, so I'm surprised you're having trouble with V8. According to EndNote, there are only a few problems with V8:
* The Hide/Show preview button may be invisible. As work-around you can use the Hide Preview/Show Preview option under the tools menu.
* When dragging and dropping references between EN8 and Word 2004 the citation is not inserted immediately.
* Fields which contain multiple lines of text may appear cut off at the top of the field. The program is displaying the last line of text in the field instead of the first. The data is unaffected and can be viewed by selecting the field and scrolling up.
* Some pre-existing libraries with PDFs inserted in the Image field may not work well with EndNote 8 on Tiger. In these cases, opening the PDF file from within a pre-existing library causes EndNote to hang, requiring a force quit of EndNote. Removing the PDF file(s) from the .Data folder makes the database responsive. This problem is not present when you create the library and insert the PDF files from within Tiger, so new libraries will not exhibit this problem.
That's from their info page -- I hope it helps.

I can't find where now, but I was sure that I read that EndNote 9 introduced Unicode support finally, breaking backwards compatibility with previous versions of EndNote. My theory is that your V8 database is still backwards compatible and you can open it in a V7 version, export the content as per the manual, and everything will be fine.

If you want, you can send me your EndNote data file and I can try producing the different formats recommended by the Bookends documentation for interchange between the two, i.e. both "ref" and "EndNote XML" (for export).

I'll send you my e-mail address in a private message.
There can be only ... Ein!
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Ohhh... Private messages seem to be disabled. You can use chemistATeingangDOTorg for an e-mail address.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Both EN 8 and 9 are Unicode-savvy (7 is not).

The error you are getting with the XML file means that it is malformed and cannot be parsed. This is, if you'll excuse me for pointing it out, a problem with Endnote 8, not Bookends. This is not the first time I have encountered poorly formed EN XML.

But if the Refer file exchange worked for you, this is now moot...

Jon
Sonny Software
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Jon wrote:Both EN 8 and 9 are Unicode-savvy (7 is not).
Drat! I couldn't remember exactly and I couldn't find the info again at the EndNote site. Oh well, so much for that theory.