making Mellel crash

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
chriggi

making Mellel crash

Post by chriggi »

It seems like Bookends is making Mellel crash at my laptop when doing the final citation search and bibliography generation.

Bookends searches through through the citation objects matches them, ask which reference it should use if it ambigous and if it should generate a bibliograpy even though some references couldn't be found.

Then: the rotating beachball. And after a time, the unbelievable thing happens: Mellel crashes.

Any ideas what is that? Pretty annoying at the end of a day with lots of writing...

I tried: Re-index and Repair in "DB Maintenance" but didn't help.
chriggi

Post by chriggi »

Grrr.. even rebuilding the DB (keep settings) didn't help. Mellel crashes after Bookends says "Formating Bibliography entries..1...2....3...."

Help, help. :shock:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't *make* Mellel crash. If Mellel crashes, it's because it isn't properly handling the data Bookends is sending it. Now it may be that the data are malformed (I can't say), but even if so Mellel should deal with it gracefully, not crash.

Since this is the first report like this I've had, I suspect is has something to do with your particular setup. You can send me the Mellel document and your database, if you like, and I'll see if I can reproduce the crash (zip them, pelase). But be prepared to contact RedleX for support (only they will be able to tell why Mellel is crashing).

Jon
Sonny Software
chriggi

Post by chriggi »

Wow, always impressed with the support. I'll send you the files, thanks for checking and post that in Mellel's forum, as well.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To those following this issue...

I was unable to reproduce the Mellel crash with chriggi's files.

The discussion of this problem has migrated to the RedleX forum, and the crash log posted there shows chriggi is running some haxies, which may (or may not) explain the problem with Mellel...

Jon
Sonny Software
chriggi

Post by chriggi »

Jon, thanks for the support.

The Thread at Mellel's forum is here: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?p=435#435

Unfortunately, the Unsanity Hackies are not the problem. Disabling them didn't change anything.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Too bad. I still think it's something particular to your system -- can you try another Mac?

In any case, I hope Eyal can figure it out (you'll probably have to wait a bit while they sort through the inevitable issues that will arise when Mellel 2.0 is released...).

Jon
Sonny Software