After scanning doc, half is missing!? or BE crashes

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Suse

After scanning doc, half is missing!? or BE crashes

Post by Suse »

Hi
Not sure if this is the right place to post this so I'll also email support.
In case anyone has had this experience and can offer advice, I'll carry on:

Bookends 8.1.2
OS 10.2.8
Word 2004

Just bought Bookends recently and am really enjoying some of the cool features over EndNote, which I was running for many years but had to abandon because of compatability issues.

Question: After running the final Scan paper to format my (APA) citations and Reference list, either Bookends crashes (50% of the time), or it returns to Word after having acknowledged a few ambiguous or mismatched sensations but only 1/4 to 1/2 of my document is there. The rest has gone missing.

Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.

Suse
PS Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of help-wanted post. I am new and green and it shows. I'll learn.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: After scanning doc, half is missing!? or BE crashes

Post by Jon »

Suse wrote:Bookends 8.1.2
FYI, Bookends 8.1.3 is the current release.

Question: After running the final Scan paper to format my (APA) citations and Reference list, either Bookends crashes (50% of the time), or it returns to Word after having acknowledged a few ambiguous or mismatched sensations but only 1/4 to 1/2 of my document is there. The rest has gone missing.

Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance.
Yes. You mentioned in your email to me that you had manually tried to eliminate existing EN citations already in the doc. You should not do this, but rather *unformat* the paper with EN first, so that any embedded (hidden) fields are removed. This might be the source of the problem.

You also asked about saving references -- Bookends saves data as it is entered, so no need to manually save.

If you still have problems after unformatting the document, please zip and send me the paper and your database (and tell me which format you are using) and I'll see if I can replicate it here.

Jon
Sonny Software
Suse

Post by Suse »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for your quick reply. MUCH appreciated.

The trouble about unformatting the old (old) EndNote doc (EN 4) via EndNote is that I can't run the old EndNote software with the new Word 2004 document and OS X, hence the need to get started with Bookends.

I imported the library from the old Endnote just fine and I'm working on a document that I used to work on in my old version of Word (that I ran in OS 9)- it must have kept the hidden EN code when I transferred to Word 2004.

8.1.3? Do I need to upgrade and, if so, how? It's not obvious to my sleep deprived eyes. I'll try to send you the files if I can figure out how to zip before I'm forced to crash into bed for a quick cat nap. Back soon.
Suse
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Suse wrote:The trouble about unformatting the old (old) EndNote doc (EN 4) via EndNote is that I can't run the old EndNote software with the new Word 2004 document and OS X, hence the need to get started with Bookends.
Go to the EN web site and download a demo of EN 9. It is fully functional for 30 days or so. Use it to unformat your Word document.
8.1.3? Do I need to upgrade and, if so, how? It's not obvious to my sleep deprived eyes. I'll try to send you the files if I can figure out how to zip before I'm forced to crash into bed for a quick cat nap. Back soon.
Suse
It's free for those who already bought Bookends 8. Just download and follow the update instructions in the Read Me.

Don't send the files until you have unformatted with EN 9 and tried first -- embedded EN instructions seems the most likely culprit at the moment.

Jon
Sonny Software
Suse

Post by Suse »

OK, Jon. I'm back, with my update. Sorry it's long but I want to give you all the details I can in order to diagnose. I've got 8.1.3 now (thanks for the heads up) and I was able to download the free trial of EN, as you suggested (and seemed to be able to run it on my OS10.2.8 even though it said it was for 10.3+)

I did "Remove Field Codes", it said that there were no EN field codes in the document. I also ran Unformat Citations. (I also manually went through the document again and tried to erase left over EN citations and replace them with BE. That is, I had put braces around them to conform with BE but I went back again and if noticed that any of them seemed to have extra coding (e.g., a darkened background), I erased the citation completely and inserted it again via Copy Citation from the BE program. [I have since come to wonder if that darkened field behind the citation is relevant to my BE mismatched citations, and not necessarily left over from EN?]

When I next tried to scan the document with Bookends, it went through 4 ambiguous citations (seems to ask me about all the ambiguous ones twice each, not sure why?) and then it generated a new document in a new window as I'd requested.

The documented looked pretty good - but it only went up to p.59 out of 100+ in the original and just stops cold right there. On p.60 it just says "PAGE" at the top. Page 60 in the original document happens to be the first of about 5 or 6 places in which I have had to insert a new 'section' so that I can switch to a landscape orientation page.

I don't know if its related but I happened to notice that the place where Bookends stops generating the new document is the same location in the document that I have been fighting with all day when I try to save from Word as a PDF. I guess it's a known issue that when using Word to save as PDF, a new PDF file is generated every time there's a portrait to landscape switch (or similar page layout change). The Save as PDF then generates a series of 8 or 10 separate PDFs rather than one full document.

Also, the Scan document happened to put one of my self-generated Figures (a pasted Excel chart) right up in the Table of Contents with the rest of the text. Haven't looked into that yet. Few other mismatched citations that I also have to sort through.

In any case, I don't know if this extra info helps you diagnose the problem. I would be happy to send you my document (2.8MB) and BE database (2.8MB) if you can recommend the best way for me to zip the files.

Thanks so much for your help.
Suse
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, it sounds like you have a complicated image or setting in the document that is causing Word to output some code that Bookends doesn't understand.

You can send me the doc and db (zipped, please!). But you can also probably work around the problem for now by removing the image from the paper, scanning, and then replacing the image afterward.

Jon
Sonny Software