Handling Papers in Conferences, Chicago in EN vs. BE

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Eingang

Handling Papers in Conferences, Chicago in EN vs. BE

Post by Eingang »

Problem Summary:
Conference papers formatted in Chicago (any version) in BookEnds don't have the same output as the same style in EndNote.

System Information:
EndNote 7.x
Bookends 8.13
Mac OS 10.4.3

Problem Discussion:
I've been importing my references from EndNote 7 to Bookends by exporting the content as EndNote XML files and then importing that into Bookends. That method seemed to result in the most accurate field to field matching.

One of the first things I noticed, however, was that my imported conference papers didn't have the same formatted output when using the same style in both Bookends and EndNote--for example, Chicago 14th A. At first I thought some of the data had been imported into the wrong area. Definitely some of the data was missing (conference date seemed to have gone into a black hole), but the conference name, etc. was there, so I didn't understand why I would get:
EndNote Chicago 14th A wrote:Agirre, Eneko, and David Martinez. "Exploring Automatic Word Sense Disambiguation with Decision Lists and the Web." Paper presented at the COLING Workshop on Semantic Annotation and Intelligent Content, Luxembourg, August 5-6, 2000 2000.
But
Bookends Chicago 14th A wrote:Agirre, Eneko, and David Martinez. "Exploring Automatic Word Sense Disambiguation With Decision Lists and the Web." 11-19, 2000.
Given that both of these are formatted with "Chicago 14th A", that's a significant difference! The EndNote one has the conference name (which I would expect) and the other is completely missing that. And, in fact, if I switched to other styles, like APA, in Bookends, I'd end up with the even weirder:
Bookends APA 4th Edition wrote:Agirre, E., & Martinez, D. (2000). Exploring Automatic Word Sense Disambiguation with Decision Lists and the Web. Paper presented at the Luxembourg.
Am I just doing something completely whacked here or are these formats hosed in one or the other program?

Thanks,

Other Information:
Here's the EndNote XML that was generated and imported into Bookends:
<?xml version="1.0"?><XML><RECORDS><RECORD><REFERENCE_TYPE>3</REFERENCE_TYPE><REFNUM>0000000040</REFNUM><AUTHORS><AUTHOR>Eneko Agirre</AUTHOR><AUTHOR>David Martinez</AUTHOR></AUTHORS><YEAR>2000</YEAR><TITLE>Exploring Automatic Word Sense Disambiguation with Decision Lists and the Web</TITLE><SECONDARY_TITLE>COLING Workshop on Semantic Annotation and Intelligent Content</SECONDARY_TITLE><PLACE_PUBLISHED>Luxembourg</PLACE_PUBLISHED><PAGES>11-19</PAGES><DATE>August 5-6, 2000</DATE><KEYWORDS><KEYWORD>WordNet, Sense disambiguation, decision lists, Web-acquired corpora</KEYWORD></KEYWORDS><ABSTRACT>The most effective paradigm for word sense disambiguation, supervised learning, seems to be stuck because of the knowledge acquisition bottleneck. In this paper we take an in-depth study of the performance of decision lists on two publicly available corpora and an additional corpus automatically acquired from the Web, using the fine-grained highly polysemous senses in WordNet. Decision lists are shown a versatile state-of-the-art technique. The experiments reveal, among other facts, that SemCor can be an acceptable (0.7 precision for polysemous words) starting point for an all-words system. The results on the DSO corpus show that for some highly polysemous words 0.7 precision seems to be the current state-of-the-art limit. On the other hand, independently constructed hand-tagged corpora are not mutually useful, and a corpus automatically acquired from the Web is shown to fail.</ABSTRACT><URL>http://ixa.si.ehu.es/dokument/Artikulu/ ... ORDS></XML>
There can be only ... Ein!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Eingang,

If you want the Bookends output to be different, it is a simple matter to edit the format the way you want. Please refer to the User Guide for details (a separate download).

Note that these "rules" are not necessarily applied unversally. Rather than cite the EndNote form, look up the original definitions. For example, here's what I found on one site for how to cite conference proceedings in a bibliography (Chicago Manual of Style: http://myrin.ursinus.edu/help/resrch_gu ... hicago.htm):

BOOKS, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, AND DISSERTATIONS

Book with one author

Hemphill, C. Dallett. Bowing to Necessities: A History of Manners in America, 1620-1860. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.

Jon
Sonny Software
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Jon wrote:Eingang,

If you want the Bookends output to be different, it is a simple matter to edit the format the way you want. Please refer to the User Guide for details (a separate download).

Note that these "rules" are not necessarily applied unversally. Rather than cite the EndNote form, look up the original definitions. For example, here's what I found on one site for how to cite conference proceedings in a bibliography (Chicago Manual of Style: http://myrin.ursinus.edu/help/resrch_gu ... hicago.htm):

BOOKS, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, AND DISSERTATIONS

Book with one author

Hemphill, C. Dallett. Bowing to Necessities: A History of Manners in America, 1620-1860. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.

Jon
Sonny Software
That's not the right format for citing an article which appears in conference proceedings, Jon, although that might work if you're referencing the entire conference proceedings (where the editor of the proceedings is a single author). When you're citing a conference paper it's more like a chapter of an edited book. Here are some examples of what this should like look like:
Conference papers
Published paper
Elements of the citation: First reference

Author Name Surname, "Title of Paper," in Conference Proceedings name - in italics (Place of publication: Name of Publisher, Year of publication), page number.
(See http://www.lib.monash.edu.au/tutorials/ ... ences.html, http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/infolit/chicago7.html, http://wwwlib.murdoch.edu.au/find/citation/chicago.html, etc -- example is from first site.)

I'm not an APA expert, but I'm pretty sure the APA format shouldn't be missing the conference name so that you end up with "the Luxembourg" like in my posted example.

While I realize you probably dislike being compared with EndNote, I think it's much more likely EndNote's styles, used cross-platform for a long time by a very large audience, are more likely to be correct. I understand I can edit the styles, but I don't think I should have to edit all the styles for conference proceedings (and, by extension, possibly other things!) in Bookends because the several I tried are incorrect. And if they're incorrect for me, they'll be incorrect for other people, so I think the thing to do is to fix the styles universally, so that they're right for everybody, not just for me.
There can be only ... Ein!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If people find errors in the formats that they feel are really errors and they don't want to correct them themselves, just contact me and I'll look into it.

Jon
Sonny Software