author names in footnote/ bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Gerben

author names in footnote/ bibliography

Post by Gerben »

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to let Bookends format the author names differently in footnotes and in the bibliography when using a specific format in one single document.

In the footnote i want: name/surname (Gerben Zaagsma)
In the bibliography: surname/name (Zaagsma, Gerben)

As far as i can tell this is not possible? Or am i missing out on something?

thanks,
Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think you're missing something. Please refer to the section on custom citation formats in the User Guide. If you use a format to create your citations (e.g. a custom citation), you can have the author output any way you like, independently of the way it would appear in the bibliography. In fact, you must be using a custom citation format to get the full author's name in a final citation at all -- the author-date citation style uses surnames.

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Thanks.
Jon wrote:If you use a format to create your citations (e.g. a custom citation), you can have the author output any way you like, independently of the way it would appear in the bibliography.
I do not see the "independently".

I used the formats manager to make a custom citation format which works fine. I noticed you can adjust author output. But if i set author output in the formatting options to "John Doe" and i subsequently use this format to do a scan on my Word doc the author will appear as "John Doe" in both my citations and the bibliography that is generated. And i would like it to be "Doe, John" in the bibliography.

Sorry if i still miss something but i've looked at it for quite a while and do not see another option.

Gerben

[/i]
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

They are indeed independent.

The "primary" format is used to create the bib.

The "secondary" format (the one called by the primary format) is used to create the footnotes/citations. They are totally independent.

If you still can't figure this out, please send me both format and I'll set it up for you (tell me exactly how you want the footnotes to look).

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Thanks for bearing with me...
Jon wrote: The "primary" format is used to create the bib.

The "secondary" format (the one called by the primary format) is used to create the footnotes/citations. They are totally independent.
I get it now. I assumed both referred to notes (first and second appearance of note from same reference).

So if i understand correctly the formatting of the name in the footnote, there are two options:
- either it follows the name format of the bibliography (if no secondary order is set)
- or you have one of the name options in the secondary format but that would only be 'surname only' or 'names set as primary' and not 'first name + surname'

What i would like is "first name + surname" in the notes, "Surname + first name" in the bibliography. If i am correct the closest i can get is surname in the note.

I will email you an example as well. Just keeping this on the forum in case someone else might be interested in my peculiar question
:wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Gerben,

No, that's not it. My use of primary and secondary was in quotes to indicate they are virtual. It has nothing to do with the primary/secondary order fields.

Instead, think of them as the calling format and the called format. The calling format makes the bib. The called format (the one whose name is selected from the popup menu on the second tab of the format definition) makes the citations. They are completely independent of one another.

Jon
Sonny Software