how to print a listing of all references alphabetically?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gavagai

how to print a listing of all references alphabetically?

Post by gavagai »

Hi,
I want to print my references in a DB with journal articles, so I can check if all these articles are printed and in the right order in my files (the ones on the shelves).
I tried it with "Print References". I made a preview.
Bookends: formatting references up to 1041
Bookends: Processing pages ...
To my astonishment the first page of the previewed print output contains many (or only ?) references which I have added within the last weeks.
At Page 2 the list starts alphabetically with "Abbott, Barbara".
I checked a few references from page 1: they are missing in the alphabetically (of course, because they are already on page 1).
The references on page 1 are printed in different styles (maybe, because I created them with different fonts/sizes within one reference)
1) What do I have to do to get all references in one long alphabetically order? Kinda sort them (which I presumed the Db to be).
2) How can I edit the list (like: select all and transform everything into Times New Roman 12)? Could I choose a file as print output so I can edit the bibliography? If yes, how do I do that?
All I want is a neatly printed list of all 1041 references, preferably 1 reference = 1 line in the list.
Servus, tschau, bye
Herbert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please refer to the User Guide for info about selecting, sorting, and printing.

The db is NOT maintained in a sorted order. You can force a sorted order if you want (Refs -> Sort Database). Of you can select all reference and then sort the Hits List (Hits -> Sort Hits). Then you can print anything you want (the selected reference, the hits, or the db).

Jon
Sonny Software
gavagai

Post by gavagai »

Hi,
sorry, but I still can do it.
Jon wrote: You can force a sorted order if you want (Refs -> Sort Database).
Sort Database never is sensitive. So I can't sort it.
Of you can select all reference and then sort the Hits List (Hits -> Sort Hits).
When I select "Select all" all references are selected (but nothing in the Hits). Then I can select via You can always sort the list on-the-fly by clicking on the desired column heading. page 43, user's guide. This may sort the viewed references (I don't see any differnence because the view was sorted anyway).
But that doesn't give me a sorted print-output. I tried it and the print is still unsorted and with all kind of styles and sizes.
As far as I read it I get a reference on the Hits via
You can add or remove the current reference from the Hits List by checking or unchecking this checkbox.
Checking it adds the current reference to the end of the Hits List. Unchecking it removes the current reference from the Hits List.
page 23, user's guide.
Of course, I don't want to check 1041 reference one by one (and no slave is at hand).
I also tried it - at least to change style and size into one - with a pdf-output. But at this Mac I don't see how to change the pdf-text.
I only have an adobe reader.
Servus, tschau, bye
Herbert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

gavagai wrote:Sort Database never is sensitive. So I can't sort it.
Open a reference window and it will be enabled.
When I select "Select all" all references are selected (but nothing in the Hits).
Refs -> Select -> Select All References puts *all* references in the Hits List.

Please continue this by contacting tech support if you still can't get it to work. This is not an issue for the forum.

Jon
Sonny Software