what to do with existing docs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Gerben

what to do with existing docs

Post by Gerben »

I just tried to look up if the manual has any info on this but could not find it, sorry if i missed something...

I have some existing thesis chapters in Word with footnotes made the old-fashioned way (typed them in manually). Now i use Bookends and am working on the chapters. I can insert new citations of course but what to do with the old ones, apart from manually reworking them? Is there another option, has someone tried something else?

I think i know the answer but nevertheless... :?

Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is a section in the User Guide called

Creating filters for existing bibliographies (p. 70)

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Thanks. but i should have specified better; it is not so much about converting the references in my existing docs to records in BE (i had a lot of the refs in Procite before, but never used CWYW there). It was more about converting existing footnotes somehow to a BE in-text citation.

Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm still not sure exactly what you want, but know that Bookends will use *any* text in a citation to find the corresponding reference in the database. So, if your footnote now is

Adams, S. What I think. Outdoor Adventures, 2005.

You could "convert" it to a citation by adding curly brackets and a bit of editing:

{Adams S What I think Outdoor Adventures, 2005}

and Bookends should find it on a scan.

Jon
Sonny Software