PDF annotation changes -- comments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tarot sport

Re: PDF annotation changes -- comments

Post by tarot sport »

I can also confirm the problem with the focus of the selected text, too short. In my case the problem was not with PopClip but with Raycast (essential application for my workflow): I don't know if there is a workaround in this regard.
DRNash wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:52 am In the latest version (14.0.6), when I highlight text in an attached PDF file, the pop-up appears very briefly and then text is deselected - I normally highlight text in order to copy it to paste somewhere else, but the pop-up is there too briefly to do anything useful, and then text is deselected.
Anyway I really enjoy new features. If it were possible, I'd just like to have the possibility to select a custom color for highlighting (I find yellow too strong, and I'd like a lighter grade to make reading less fatiguing).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know anything about Raycast, can you whitelist applications in it? In any case, since the selection persists even after the popover closes, you can use Command-C to copy.

As for changing the highlight colors, it's easy. Click the chevron next to the marker icon and right-click on the color you want to change. That brings up the color wheel, and you can can select any color you like.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Edits were made to clarify.
tarot sport

Post by tarot sport »

Jon wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:09 pm I don't know anything about Raycast, can you whitelist applications it is disabled for? In any case, since the selecting persists even after the popover closes, you can use Command-C to copy.

As for changing the highlight colors, it's easy. Click the caret next to the marker icon and right-click on the color you want to change. That brings up the color wheel, and you can can select any color you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thank you! All worked, Even the blacklisting workaround on Raycast.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Will it ever be possible to link notecards?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please define what you mean by link. Remember, notecards are convenient way of viewing and editing text in the notes field.

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Instead of doing that, I suggest that you look at the latest Zotero release. It deals with notes and PDF annotations and allows nearly everything to be linked.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Zotero treats notes as individual entries whereas in Bookends they belong to a reference. Therefore, in Bookends you link references, not notes. You can do this using the Link Inspector. If you want it to accessible via notes, do Edit -> Copy Hypertext Link -> as Link for reference A and paste it into the Notes field of reference B. It's a live link, and clicking it will take you to the reference A. If the notes tab in the edit pane is active, it will directly take you from note to note.

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

I see many virtues in treating notes as individual entries, but if that is not the philosophy of Bookends, I can understand that. The built-in references links in the inspector are an elegant feature, but it would be much more useful and trustworthy if we could access them via Applescript or some other method. As you know, I was having a hard time exporting to BibTeX (unfortunately, the latest update didn't fix this). If I were to move my references elsewhere, I would be able to write this data into the notes (or any other field) before exporting. As it is right now, this info won't even survive being dragged and dropped from one BE file to the other.

Also, two questions related to notes/notecards:

- is there a way to make hyperlinks in notecards live/clickable?
- is there a way to save & finish editing the notecard? Esc works for exiting, but it won't save any changes.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The internal reference links are not exportable. But the hypertext links in the note field are (as is the entire notes field).

As to your questions

1. Not clickable in the notecard list, but double click on the notecard to reveal the editable field and then click on the link -- it is live. So basically it's a triple click.

2, Press Tab or Enter (not Return) to save any changes and close the notecard.

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Jon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:38 pm The internal reference links are not exportable.
I am aware. Please change this and allow this to be exported somehow. Otherwise, this information will be perpetually locked in a specific Bookends file (as I said, we can't even transfer it to other Bookends files).
Jon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:38 pm 1. Not clickable in the notecard list, but double click on the notecard to reveal the editable field and then click on the link -- it is live. So basically it's a triple click.
This must be a macOS problem, I assume. Over here, I have to select the link, right-click on it, and then select open link. I tried activating smart links in Edit > Substitutions > Smart Links, but that didn't help to make links live.
Jon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:38 pm 2, Press Tab or Enter (not Return) to save any changes and close the notecard.
This helps. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Export reference link relationships? That this reference is a book chapter in that book reference? Impossible. There is not standard mechanism for that, no other app would be able to make sense of it, just like groups can be exported/imported between reference managers. It's a unique feature of Bookends. As for moving between Bookends databases, relationships are maintained in a table in the database, they are not properties belonging to the references. You can make use of the feature in a library, it's not transferable between libraries (and can't be).

Jon
Sonny Software
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

BibLaTeX does make sense of this information and stores it in the crossref field. Putting the export issue aside, could this at least be exposed to scripting? No need to allow modification (although this would be a bonus), just a read-only list of related references and the link relation type would be enough.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

@Bernardo: If I understand your problem correctly, I think there is a way around your issue of keep the relationship between books and their chapters.

- Assign the filed user4 as a crossref field.
Then, copy the Key of the book (the parent) to the crossref field of its children (the chapters). You can do batch copying using the find replace method if you have many children associated with a single parent.

Then, design your export format so that USER4 will be exported as "crossref" field.

That is what I am doing for books and their chapters.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Thanks for the suggestion, @Dellu. I am adopting a similar solution, but it would be preferable if we could take advantage of the built-in BE feature for this very purpose.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We're talking about Bookends reference linking, right? Done via the Link Inspector. This built-in reference linking is far more complex than a simple "this reference and that reference are related". It contains a hierarchy (this is the parent and that is the child) and can accommodate multiple different types of relationships between one reference to many (and the obverse). And the links internally use unique ID, which have no meaning to other apps. This is my last comment on this topic -- reference links cannot be exported in any meaningful way. Use the hypertext links we provide or create your own, like Dellu.

Jon
Sonny Software