formatting biblio - upper and lower case in same field?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
neuromama

formatting biblio - upper and lower case in same field?

Post by neuromama »

I am having a difficult time formatting the bibliography for a certain journal. I need to have the authors names and initials in upper case. But, I also need to insert the word "and" in lower case between the last two authors.
ex:

BUNNY, E., RABBIT, J.C., CLAUS, S., KRINGLE, K. and CLAUS, M.R.S.

Is there a way to keep the "and" in lower case and the authors in upper case? Also, there are no periods in the journal abbreviations, even though the remove journal periods is unchecked.
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Neuromama
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi neuromama,

Bookends will always change the case of the "and" to reflect the case of the authors (UPPER, lower, or small caps), so I'm afraid not. The only way to have Bookends do this is not a great one -- global change -> change case for the authors to ALL CAPS, and then turn this off in the format. But unless you *always* want the authors in CAPS, this is a bad idea.

As for periods -- Bookends won't add them for you (how could it?) unless you tell it where they should be. There are two ways to do this:

1. Enter the journal names with periods (not encouraged)

2. Use a journal glossary in which the short journals names have periods. We provide, for example, Concise Medline, which does this for biomedical journals. You may find a glossary that we already provide that does this for your journals. If not, you can create your own journal glossary that does this (it's likely you generally cite from the same 20 or so journals, so that's not very difficult).

Jon
Sonny Software