Smart group sorted by date added to Bookends?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
strickvl

Smart group sorted by date added to Bookends?

Post by strickvl »

Is it possible to create a smart group where I can include only books added in 2022, for example?

(Context / use-case: I would like to have smart groups for the books I read each year previously. So I'll retrospectively add books in, though I guess I'd have to be able to modify the 'date added' parameter in order for this to work).
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Smart group sorted by date added to Bookends?

Post by Jon »

You can create an SQL group for this. We have built-in SQL groups that you can select for Added or Edited in the last 2 weeks. If you examine the syntax of those you'll be able to adapt them for your needs. If you want to restrict the search to a year, you'd look for references with a dateAdded containing 2022. The user guide (Help menu) has lots of examples of how to set up SQL searches, please read that. You'll find it very useful.

Jon
Sonny Software
rmsk

Post by rmsk »

How does one retrospectively modify the date added parameter of a book or an article, or any other type of record (per the OP's inquiry above)? This would be very useful in some cases, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Many Mac apps (both 1st party and 3rd party) offer this functionality. For example, Apple's Photos app has a simple and intuitive interface to retrospectively adjust the date and/or time of any given photo (it shows the original date/time, and then below offers the ability to change this to the user's desired date/time).

Does Bookends have similar functionality? If not, could this be considered for a future release?

Respectfully submitted,
r
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The date added is immutable, which seems to be the correct behavior to me. If you need it, there is a simple workaround to update it to the current date and time -- press Command-D to duplicate the reference, then press Delete to remove the original.

Jon
Sonny Software