ordering and sorting of bibiographic annotation in text

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Chemist

ordering and sorting of bibiographic annotation in text

Post by Chemist »

Hi

Here is the chemist back with more questions about the format of output bibliographies.

1. Assume that I follow a sentence by at least three references. These are annotated in the text as 1, 2, 3. How is it possible to change this to 1-3? This is standard in all scientific journals that I am aware of.

2. How does one introduce the characters that separate the reference numbers in the text? In the preceding example, I used commas. How does one get BE to automatically print these upper case, i.e. like the actual reference numbers in the text?

3. This question is a doozy. :twisted: The basic advantage of any literature reference management program is that it will re-assign the same bibliography number to the same bibliography entry, regardless of how frequently it is used in the text. It will also sort out those later numbers in ascending order. For example:
“The lazy{Arnold}fox jumps over the lazy brown dog{Baker},{Crown},{Arnold}â€
Jon
Site Admin

Re: ordering and sorting of bibiographic annotation in text

Post by Jon »

Chemist wrote:1. Assume that I follow a sentence by at least three references. These are annotated in the text as 1, 2, 3. How is it possible to change this to 1-3? This is standard in all scientific journals that I am aware of.
Hi,

Yes, it's standard AFAIK too. And Bookends does this for you automatically. If it isn't, maybe it's because you are not putting all three in the same set of curly brackets? As in

{cite1; cite2; cite3}

If you still can't get this to work, please contact tech support directly with a example.
2. How does one introduce the characters that separate the reference numbers in the text? In the preceding example, I used commas. How does one get BE to automatically print these upper case, i.e. like the actual reference numbers in the text?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
3. This question is a doozy. :twisted: The basic advantage of any literature reference management program is that it will re-assign the same bibliography number to the same bibliography entry, regardless of how frequently it is used in the text. It will also sort out those later numbers in ascending order. For example:
“The lazy{Arnold}fox jumps over the lazy brown dog{Baker},{Crown},{Arnold}â€
tom

Re: ordering and sorting of bibiographic annotation in text

Post by tom »

Chemist wrote:Hi

do you mean upper case or superscript? for the latter see Biblio>FormatsManager>Bib&Document Options
here you can also specify how to seperate multiple citations...

hope this helps
tom
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Hi

As Jon suspected, the true cause of those three glitches was incorrect citing, ie. all of the quotes cited sequentially must appear within the same pair of curly brackets.

back w/ a few other questions elsewhere.

:-)

Chemist