Consistency When Sorting on Labels?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Consistency When Sorting on Labels?

Post by DrJJWMac »

In Bookends macOS, we sort on labels by their alphabetical name. In Bookends iPadOS, we sort on labels by their order in the color list. As such, to avoid differences on the two devices in the order of list items when viewing by sorted labels, one should use alphabetically ordered names in the label list on macOS. By example
labellistmacOS.png
labellistmacOS.png (45.34 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
When the above list would not have numbers before the titles, the list would sort alphabetically on macOS to give Active, Issues, Not Relevant, Significant and would sort by label list order on iPadOS.

Would you give consideration to having the macOS and the iPadOS versions use the same ordering parameter to sort on labels, be it the label title or the label order in the color list?
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Consistency When Sorting on Labels?

Post by Jon »

In Bookends for Mac you can't sort the label list in Preferences at all -- clicking on the headers does nothing. How did you sort it, by typing in the entries in that order? As for iOS, I'll send Serge this link (although whether he can access it is always dicey). But he tells me they're not sorted, either.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I mean the sorting for the list view ...

... on macOS
macOSsorting.png
macOSsorting.png (41.71 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
... on iPadOS
iPadOSsorting.png
iPadOSsorting.png (26.76 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm going to leave that alone. Since you control the label meaning, you control the sort. I suspect this is not on Serge's list of priorities, but he's aware of it.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Fair enough. However, it will be beneficial in this case to clarify the difference between the macOS and iPadOS sorting behaviors in their respective manuals. Users who want a consistent behavior between the two versions when they sort on labels should be warned to set label names in the macOS version manually in alphabetical order in the label list (e.g. by prefixing ascending or descending numbers to the label names).
--
JJW