request: automatic records listing upon importing new reference

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rmsk

request: automatic records listing upon importing new reference

Post by rmsk »

When I import a PDF into Bookends (e.g. via moving the file into my watch folder) the newly imported reference does not appear in my library's list of references. Instead, I need to manually "refresh" the listing by temporarily switching from the active group to any other and then back to my originally-selected group.

This is a minor interface deficiency and yet a bothersome annoyance. Would it be possible to remedy this in a future release? Or is there some preference that I'm not aware that I can modify to prevent this behavior?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: request: automatic records listing upon importing new reference

Post by Jon »

This is a feature, not a bug. The idea is that a watch folder can be used any time (e.g. when a PDF is being downloaded in the background) and it would be disturbing to have the UI suddenly change focus while you were working and perhaps even switch groups on you. You don't have to switch groups to refresh the UI, just click on the group name again (e.g. All) and you'll see the newly imported reference.

Another tip: if you choose a static folder into which the PDFs are imported (in the configuration window) the refresh will happen immediately. The idea is that in this case if you're viewing that group you want to be "notified" immediately.

Jon
Sonny Software
rmsk

Re: request: automatic records listing upon importing new reference

Post by rmsk »

Thanks for the helpful clarifications.