Smart Group for references that "can't find file..."

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
paranous79

Smart Group for references that "can't find file..."

Post by paranous79 »

Hi,

I would like to create a Smart Group which identifies all references that appear to have an attachment but, when clicked, instead provide the error message "Can't find file..." This error appears even though the PDF is in my default Attachments folder. No idea why, but I assume it had to do with an old import error from Sente. Anyways, I am not concerned with why this is the case - just want to fix it.

I realise I can simply delete all of these at once using the 'Remove Orphaned Attachments' command, but then there does not appear to be a systematic way of re-attaching them to the right references (I know that in almost all cases the PDF exists in the Attachments folder, and I simply need to re-attach it. I have done this and it works).

So I want to have a Smart Group that identifies these "Can't find file" references, so I can go through them 1-by-1. Identifying references that have more than 1 attachment or no attachments do not capture them, nor are they in the Attachments group.

Perhaps there is a REGEX command or similar?

Thanks!
JW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Smart Group for references that "can't find file..."

Post by Jon »

Select All, then right-click on the references and Select References With Orphaned Attachments.

You can then do what you want with the selections. Add To Group (which I think is what you want), Mark (that is, make them Hits), Export them, etc.

Jon
Sonny Software
paranous79

Post by paranous79 »

Thanks! That worked like a charm.

Now, with these hundreds of attachments, I suppose there is no shortcut to reattach their attachments? One has to go one-by-one and find the orphaned attachments - there is no automatic searching in the Attachments Folder, matching file names with references (after all, the filenames were initially managed by Bookends)?

That would be a dream...but probably asking too much.

Thanks for all your help - Bookends is a very impressive bit of software.

JW
paranous79

Post by paranous79 »

Two quick follow-ups:

1. I note that the file name listed after 'Can't find file...' is precisely the name of the file in the Bookends/Attachments folder, which makes me wonder why it can't find it.

2. Is there a way to make this a Smart Group? This way, when one re-attaches the original Attachment, it automatically gets removed from the Smart Group...

JW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As to your question about automatic reattachment, you can try Refs -> Get PDF -> Find & Attach Local PDF (see the User Guide for how it works). I'm sure it won't find all, but it will probably help.

1. Check your preferences and make sure the default attachment folder is set to point to that folder.

2. No, because it's not something that can be determined by searching the library. The reference has an entry in the attachment field. It's only when Bookends tries to find the attachment on the HD that we learn it can't be found.
kgrace

Post by kgrace »

The lost file issue is marring the entire experience of the app. What happens when I can’t just redownload resources once I don’t have Uni access.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

If you are at all proficient enough to install and use AppleScripts with Bookends, you might be interested in my script at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=5566

The script generates a CSV report about the status of the library. It also can be set to label references that have orphaned attachments.

As to loosing attachments ... it happens. A I can recommend making routine ZIP archives of the library attachments folder(s) (e.g. every time you add new references to the library itself) as protection for when you are otherwise off-line.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what the "lost file" issue refers to, there are multiple scenarios where PDF attachments can't be found none of which are intrinsic to Bookends (meaning, they are local issues that interfere with Bookends finding the file). You should write to support@sonnysoftware.com with more details, and we'll try to figure out what is going on.

Jon
Sonny Software