Backing up/exporting data

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
NaomiJ

Backing up/exporting data

Post by NaomiJ »

Hi, I’m moving to Bookends from Mendeley after a terrible experience with the latter - my account was irretrievably deleted. Long story, but as a result I’m nervous about backups and being able to take data out of apps. I know Bookends has iCloud sync, but is there any way to export all of my data out of the app, so I can do regular backups to my own computer? Thanks for any answers! P.S. I’m loving this user-friendly app, especially the iPad app - so many of the options I was looking at didn’t have one, or their iPad app was lacking features.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Backing up/exporting data

Post by Jon »

Bookends sync is the best backup. Automatic, fast, and transparent to the user. It doesn't back up the file, it backs up the data. That means if your database file ever becomes corrupted and can't be recovered, you can restore all the data from the cloud with File -> New Library -> Download From Cloud. Bookends Cloud is a great way to secure your data even if you only have one Mac.

Second, Bookends makes an automatic backup to the Backup folder in the Bookends folder. You can set this to once a day in preferences.

Third, there is File -> Backup, which allows you to make a backup at any time wherever you want it. This is better than simply copying the library file, because Bookends does a Validate on the database before backing it up, making sure it's intact.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. See the reply to the post Request: Option to set default folder for backup, just before yours.
NaomiJ

Post by NaomiJ »

Thanks - that’s all very helpful. I’m already using iCloud sync, but it’s good to know backups are made automatically.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

FWIW, an alternative approach is to use WiFi sync between the iPad and mac. I posted a thread that ended with some pros/cons of the two methods (iCloud and WiFi). Look for Where are attachments stored in iCloud sync.

I too have become disillusioned with Mendeley after many years from a start as an early adopter. Your experience with loosing the account information is a tragedy. My disappointments are that a significant number of significantly useful features have been gutted from the newest release version and that the remaining features no longer work as consistently as they did. The change happened a year ago or so when Elsevier dropped one client version to a completely new redesign.

I personally find the iPadOS version of Bookends to outstrip any competitor on the iPad. It is a testament to Serge and Jon both for how easy, joyful, and effective the iPadOS app is to use and for how well they both continue to improve on the iPadOS app. Add to this the reliability that one has to sync between iPadOS and macOS and the features that are offered on the macOS version, and you have a great set of tools for bibliography and citation management.
--
JJW
NaomiJ

Post by NaomiJ »

DrJJWMac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:15 am FWIW, an alternative approach is to use WiFi sync between the iPad and mac. […]
Thanks! I already use Wi-Fi sync and find it really seamless for switching between devices. And you’re right - Mendeley’s changes to the app and service over the years have turned it from a useful app into an unusable one. I haven’t found any app as good as Bookends ever since. And Bookends is indeed excellent on the iPad, which is perfect for me, as I do most of my article reading/highlighting on the iPad with a Logitech Crayon.