Open PDF in another app

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
daniel0192

Open PDF in another app

Post by daniel0192 »

Hi,

I know that Bookends PDF reader is great already, but on my Mac and on my iPad I use Highlights. Probably other user will use other apps that they like more for some specific reason.

-> Would be possible to set another default app on the iOS to open the PDFs? Or, a share option that doesn't export the PDF, but just send the location in files, so the other app would use the same PDF file?

Thank you,
Daniel
Serge

Re: Open PDF in another app

Post by Serge »

I just checked with Highlights app and it opens Bookends shared attachments 'in place', so after a few added annotations they are visible in Bookends without any extra steps of sharing attachments back via the Share icon.
rihahynek

Post by rihahynek »

Hello,

I've registered the same problem on my iPad. I use PDF Expert for highlighting, and sharing pdf file from Bookends leads to export/saving pdf file to PDF Expert, not opening the file from its original location (attachment folder of Bookends). On Mac it works correctly.

I don't know whether it is the issue of Bookends for iOS or pdf reader (PDF Expert in my case).

Any idea?

Hynek
somelinguist

Post by somelinguist »

rihahynek wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:41 pm I use PDF Expert for highlighting, and sharing pdf file from Bookends leads to export/saving pdf file to PDF Expert, not opening the file from its original location (attachment folder of Bookends).
I think this is how PDF Expert works on iOS/iPad when opening a file from an external location. I usually get a popup with a progress indicator around an X button (see the attached image). If you tap the X button before the progress indicator finishes, it opens in place. Otherwise, I think it copies the file to PDF Exprert's storage. When I cancel the copy/import, Bookends reflects any changes in the attachment.
Attachments
pdfexpert-open.jpeg
pdfexpert-open.jpeg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 644 times
rihahynek

Post by rihahynek »

Hello,

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately not working on my iPad - despite pushing "X" button, the file is copied/saved to Inbox folder of PDF Expert and opened from there.

Hynek