how do I insert page numbers in citation?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
K1

how do I insert page numbers in citation?

Post by K1 »

I understand how to insert a citation, but not with specific page numbers, say if I want to insert something like (Smith 2005, p. 205) into my document. I assume there's a way to do it before you scan the document, right?

(using Word X)
Last edited by K1 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
K1

Post by K1 »

Sorry, let me try to get another newb question out of the way. Unfortunately, the user guide is not very readable, as it goes through the menus rather than being task-oriented.

I think Mellel has different ways of doing it, but I'm back to using Word for now. Can you also cite in the format without the author (2005, p. 205) other than changing it after scanning?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The User Guide is searchable as well.

Look up the section on Cited Pages. This is the preferred method (although you can use "quoted text" as well).

Cited pages would be done as

{Smith, title, 2005@205}

Quoted text might be

{Smith, title, 2005\, p. 205}

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

I would like to follow up here. I can get cited pages to work like you indicate when the temporary citation is in the main text, but not when it is in a footnote (my setup: Word X, Bookends 9)

Here is an example when in the main text:
{Mintz, 1995, Prooftexts, 15, 1-4@, 4.}

After scanning:
Alan Mintz, 'Introduction. The Many Rather Than the One: On the Critical Study of Jewish Periodicals', Prooftexts 15 (1995) 1-4, 4.

Just how i want it to look. But, when i have exactly the same in a footnote, nothing changes after the scan. It looks still like the temporary citation.

Is this something to do with Word or do i miss something?

Thanks,
Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know about footnotes (it shouldn't matter), but that's not the way to use cited pages.

Define the preceding , and the following . in the format itself. Just do this in the text:

@4

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Thanks,

You are right, i had not completely figured it out but defined it in the format now and it is perfect.

I also think i discovered why the temporary citation (when it is in a footnote) does not change after a scan: if you leave the cursor in the footnote it does not work and nothing happens when scanning. If you put the cursor back in the main text the scan works.. I tested this a couple of times.

Gerben
jginsbu

Post by jginsbu »

Gerben wrote:I also think i discovered why the temporary citation (when it is in a footnote) does not change after a scan: if you leave the cursor in the footnote it does not work and nothing happens when scanning. If you put the cursor back in the main text the scan works.. I tested this a couple of times.
Is this happening with Mellel? If so, you should report it to the Redlers: support@redlers.com
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

I don't know, using Word these days..

G
jweaks

Post by jweaks »

Gerben wrote:... if you leave the cursor in the footnote it does not work and nothing happens when scanning. If you put the cursor back in the main text the scan works.
I discovered this bug after much hair-raising frustration as well. I'm in Word 2004.
The "Citing Pages" method is a good method, but is ridiculously hard to discover how to do it when starting up. Took me a long time. It really should be more prevalent in the tutorial/userguide system.