Consolidating attachments of a specific library into a separate subfolder

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Adam Smith

Consolidating attachments of a specific library into a separate subfolder

Post by Adam Smith »

I've got to consolidate all attachments of a specific, already existing bookends library from default folder to a new subfolder (it doesn't matter if I copy or move the attachments, the only important thing is, that in the new attachment subfolder only attachments of the specific library do exist).

I checked if there are apple scripts to do this, but I didn't find an out-of-the-box solution, but scripts like https://gist.github.com/zverhope/7193c7 ... 0bd802db5e that maybe could be used to build a workaround.
I also wondered, if it may be a good workaround to install a clean BE on computer 2, restore a library backup of the specific library only along with the complete default attachment folder and then get rid of all orphaned attachments with built-in marooned attachment manager. At last, I will delete the original library + attachments on computer 1 and will import the library from computer 1 as well as the attachment subfolder.

I would be happy for all recommendations and better approaches!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Consolidating attachments of a specific library into a separate subfolder

Post by Jon »

Please check out the Global Change options. I think Move Attachments may be what you're after. Look it up in the User Guide, p. 391, to see if it fits the bill.

If it does, try it on a single reference first, and if that works as you expect on the whole library.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

When you are comfortable with how to install or copy+paste an AppleScript, you may find benefit from the script posted at this link: viewtopic.php?t=5566

I am also moving reference files around between attachment sub-folders. I run the script selecting all three extra options - generate a written report, label orphans, and tag attachments in the Finder. The final results help me check behind on the robustness of my library storage into its designated attachments sub-folder.
--
JJW
Adam Smith

Post by Adam Smith »

Thanks, Jon and JJW, I didn't know the global change options before, they're great and the Apple Script is even better. Thanks a lot!