Bookends and Hookmark

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Bookends and Hookmark

Post by Jon »

We've posted an Announcement about Bookends being named Hookmark's Partner of the Month.

viewtopic.php?p=27218#p27218

Please use this thread if you have questions about Hookmark, or use Hookmark and have helpful observations and suggestions.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Re: Bookends and Hookmark

Post by abusch »

Jon wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:13 pm We've posted an Announcement about Bookends being named Hookmark's Partner of the Month.

viewtopic.php?p=27218#p27218

Please use this thread if you have questions about Hookmark, or use Hookmark and have helpful observations and suggestions.

Jon
Sonny Software
It's great that Bookends is so well equipped now to do deep linking - much appreciated! - and that you consciously partner with them. It's two of my favourite (and most used) pieces of software cooperating - great!

One question I have, though. Is it somehow possible to find out whether an entry in Bookends has a Hookmark link?
In the Apple Finder, e.g., I can set a tag to be automatically added when a Hookmark exists for that file or folder, and that gives me a visual hint. It would be great to have something similar in Bookends, such as a new column that one could switch on in the main view if one were interested to find Hookmarked Bookends entries - and / or the possibility to search for them with "Find...".

Any hints or ideas?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't have access to Hookmark data, so I think that would have to be done on the Hookmark side. I can imagine using an AppleScript to add a keyword to such references (e.g. hookmarked) that you could then search for in Bookends (or create a smart group for). You might ask this a question on the Hookmark forum.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Great suggestion - will do that!
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

I am a happy bookends user. Citing papers in word works perfect with bookends. what is the major benefit in your everydays workflow to use both apps together when writing papers in word?
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

The ability to create links to individual papers in Bookends has been one the most important reasons for me to return to Bookends (I'm very happy for other reasons as well!).
But since this last update my links don't work as I want them to. I used to invoke Hookmark after selecting an entry in Bookends, copy, and then simply paste into the Craft document that I mostly use to write papers or work on presentations. This used to result in a nice entry of a formatted citation that is linked to the paper in Bookends. And that's what I would like to continue to do.
Now it creates only a link that doesn't even work properly and instead opens Safari.
Does anybody have a clue what I need to change to get back to my "original" workflow?
Martin
BTW: Hookmark is fantastic and I use in many other scenarios as well...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This sounds like a question for Hookmark. But let's see what the link it creates actually is. What is the link look like in Craft? I assume it's a markdown link, so please paste it into a reply in this forum.

Jon
Sonny Software
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

Hi Jon, Thanks for your very quick reply!
This is what a link looks like in Craft: (copied out of an actual Craft document)

%5BAgusti,%20A.,%20Gibson,%20P.%20G.,%20&%20McDonald,%20V.%20M.%20(2023).%20Treatable%20Traits%20in%20Airway%20Disease:%20From%20Theory%20to%20Practice.%20J%20Allergy%20Clin%20Immunol%20Pract,%20S2213-2198(23)00076.%20doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2023.01.011%0D%5D(bookends://sonnysoftware.com/ref/MW%20Bookends%20Library/86881)

It used to look like that:

[Park, S. C., Kim, D. H., Jun, Y. J., Kim, S. W., Yang, H. J., Yang, S. I., . . . Kim, D. K. (2023). Long-term Outcomes of Turbinate Surgery in Patients With Allergic Rhinitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 149(1), 15-23. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2022.3567](bookends://sonnysoftware.com/32158)

And Yes, you're right I´ll post this in Hookmark as well.
Best regards! Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The new link is a replacement for the old style. The old specified a unique reference id, and would only be valid if the library for which it was created was open. The new-style link includes the library name and the type of target (ref), which is much more robust.

The problem I see isn't the link, but that the non-link text is URL-encoded. I think that Hookmark may be responsible for that, let's see what they say.

And to test, please generate the link in Bookends *without* using Hookmark (select that reference and use Edit -> Create Hypertext Link) and paste that into Craft. What do you see now? And does it work?

Jon
Sonny Software
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

When using "copy hypertext link" I get this result in Craft:

bookends://sonnysoftware.com/ref/MW%20Bookends%20Library/86881

But to use this as a link I have to create a link in Craft first and then paste this in. Then it links back to the correct library entry.
Thus, this means extra work since I need to type a name in Craft first, then create the hyperlink in Bookends and go back to Craft, create the link (@k) and paste it in...

Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's up to Craft to decide what to do with the link, not Bookends.

Bookends places both the native link as well as the markdown link (as text) in the clipboard. Craft seems to ignore the user-exposed text, accepting the native link URL only, and treating it as text, not a link.

The information Bookends puts in the clipboard is of course correct. Test it yourself -- paste it into TextEdit, DEVONthink Pro, Tinderbox, etc., and click on it. You'll have to ask Craft why they don't accept the paste as a native link.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Followup. I don't actually get it, but here's how it seems to work in Craft.

Command-V -> Craft accepts to the URL of the native link and ignores the rest. It's plain text.

Shift-Option-Command-V -> Craft shows the active link

I don't see the second shortcut in the Edit menu (odd), but it typically is for Paste and Match Style. My guess is when you do that, Craft looks at the Text content of the clipboard, detects the Markdown link, and show that as a live link. Just my guess.

In any case, that's the solution for Craft. Apps like Obsidian accept the Markdown link (and make it live) with just the usual Command-V (Paste).

Jon
Sonny Software
LucCogZest

Post by LucCogZest »

Jon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:52 pm It's up to Craft to decide what to do with the link, not Bookends.

Bookends places both the native link as well as the markdown link (as text) in the clipboard. Craft seems to ignore the user-exposed text, accepting the native link URL only, and treating it as text, not a link.

The information Bookends puts in the clipboard is of course correct. Test it yourself -- paste it into TextEdit, DEVONthink Pro, Tinderbox, etc., and click on it. You'll have to ask Craft why they don't accept the paste as a native link.

Jon
Sonny Software
Looks like a problem with Craft or the user's setup -- using a clipboard manager or something? Hookmark's links paste fine in other apps. Also we at CogSci Apps Corp. can't reproduce it so far .
Co-founder, CogSci Apps https://CogSciApps.com
Adjunct Professor SFU
Papers: http://sfu.ca/~lpb
Books: https://cogzest.com/books
Blog: https://CogZest.com
Hookmark app (Previously known as "Hook"): https://hookproductivity.com
Wagenmann

Post by Wagenmann »

@Jon: Yes, indeed pasting the link with Shift-Option-Command-V makes the link active in Craft! Thanks a lot for your help! You made my day.
Best regards! Martin
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

regarding hookmark in general: while writing a manuscript in word, does it have advantages of searching a paper, that I want to cite, with hookmark instead with the floating citation plugin of bookends in order to insert a reference/citation in a word document?