Unable to select text in a PDF

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Ken

Unable to select text in a PDF

Post by Ken »

Hi,
Often when reading and annotating a PDF in Bookends, I am suddenly unable to select text in it. It is resolved if I select another reference and then go back and forth between the references a couple of times. Is this a known bug?

Thanks,
Ken
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Unable to select text in a PDF

Post by Jon »

No, I've never seen nor heard of this before. The selection of text in PDFs is handled by macOS PDFKit, not Bookends per se. Can you select text but that disappears once you release the mouse, or is it as if the PDF is locked? If you see this again, please enable text selection again (by going to another reference and back) and see if you can recreate the problem. If you can, please send me the PDF and tell me how to make that happen.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks. The PDF appears locked, and it happens after working on a PDF for a while, i.e. it does not seem to be related to specific files. So far, I have not been able to see which actions that might trigger this.

Ken
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Oddly enough, I just experienced this problem while working on updates to the PDF viewer. Although I don't know what triggered it in your case, I think I know why you can't make a selection. I've fixed the cause, and that will be included in a a future update (probably the one after next).

Jon
Sonny Software
Ken

Post by Ken »

Great, thanks Jon!